Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 PM

Default whats a standard staking deal?

So, i'm considering staking a friend of mine, but really don't know what is standard, and he knows less than i do about that kind of stuff.

i was thinking along the lines of I get 50% of what he makes until he earns a certain amount then he's on his own, is that typical? if it is, then what's a normal return i should get before he's on his own? i was thinking once i got 150% - 200% gain on my initial stake then that should be enough, but is that too much, or too little?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: whats a standard staking deal?

ok, well i'm sure this topic comes up all the time... but i had no luck with the search. so if anyone who's seen this too many times and doesn't want to explain to me out of spite of my making a lame, overdiscussed issue, could you at least make a quick, snappy one sentence response.

or at least post a link to a previous thread on the topic please.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:19 AM

I'm interested in what people consider standard as well.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 AM

yeah. i'm really having a hard time believing that on this board there's been 50 views and not a single person who has any experience... or has at least ever read a good thread on it.

c'mon somebody.... PLEASE
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 AM

I've done maybe 10 staking deals. None of them have been even close to 50%. I've done a lot of weird semi-complex deals involving $$/100 hands + % or $$/hr + % or % + %rb or other combo's thereof, but have never done anywhere near 50%. I've done 50% action taking, but that's totally different. But yeah, 50% is just a rip off for the player. I don't stake to make money really; just to help out people who I want to help out, but even if I was in it just for the money, I wouldn't charge anywhere near 50%.

GoT
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 AM

thanks... hmm he actually suggested that for me to stake him. but we're thinking of doing a deal over not too long of a period.

my idea was going to be something like i give him 6-7k and i thought he'd give me 50% (which i thought was normal but shows what i know [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ) up until he's made enough to give me my money plus somewhere between another 6-15k. this part is what i was asking mostly about, but i guess i'll need to rethink the first part too.

to me it seemed like it was a mutually profitable situation, since he's had to take a lot out of his roll lately for other things that have come up. he's a friend of mine too, so i don't wanna rip him off, but i would like to make a deal that will be profitable for both of us.

FWIW, i just posted this in the gen HE section b/c i thought it'd get better responses. but my friend actually is a Omaha 8 player. i don't know a ton about the game, but i can at least play okay, and probably play break even in not-too tough games, and he's about 100x better than me. so also for part of the deal i'll probably watch him some to learn a bit about the game.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm thinking about asking to be staked. What should I ask for?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:20 PM

If this was me, I'd offer a straight interest deal like 10-25% (ie lend 6k, get back $6600-$7260) if it was somebody I knew and wanted to help out. If your friend's offer is 100% interest, then I think you are in a great spot assuming he is likely to pay you back before you die.

If your friend loses the full amount of the loan, what is your plan?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:31 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I've done maybe 10 staking deals. None of them have been even close to 50%. I've done a lot of weird semi-complex deals involving $$/100 hands + % or $$/hr + % or % + %rb or other combo's thereof, but have never done anywhere near 50%. I've done 50% action taking, but that's totally different. But yeah, 50% is just a rip off for the player. I don't stake to make money really; just to help out people who I want to help out, but even if I was in it just for the money, I wouldn't charge anywhere near 50%.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]