Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Default deer droping antlers

its time for them, and for me to walk around the property and find nice ones. usually good for a couple five pointers. no beavers out in the river yet. they must be having young in the nests and when they pop out, down goes the willow and cottonwood bushes and trees.
We had no snow on the ground all winter long. this week got some and its still sticking because of the cool weather. Our snowppack is below 50% of normal and expecting low river flows this summer.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: deer droping antlers

Do they let you trap beaver out there? You can go to jail if you do it here, so we just live in the fear of random flooding.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Long ago if seems, I posted about finding a great pair of elk antlers. I found them while bushwhacking cross country and they are in great shape, a hair more than 3-feet tall, and are a large 5 point rack. I packed them out (a chore as they are quite heavy) and they lean up next to my fireplace. I also have an elk skull on the fireplace mantle and two large elk vertabra that decorate my wood CD holders.

We got lots of snow, in fact it snowed last night and now I am about to go cross-country skiing.

The low river flows will impact fishing right?

Hope you had a fun and relaxing time on your vacation/trip along the west coast.

-Zeno
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 PM

Don't tease me guys. Bowhunting is my first addiction and Sept 15 is still a long long ways away.

If a 5 pointer is big you must be talking mule deer.

I have a carved elk antler from a Zumi(?) indian in AZ. Wish I had a camera to drop a photo inline.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zumi(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Zuni
Old 03-26-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tease me guys. Bowhunting is my first addiction and Sept 15 is still a long long ways away.

If a 5 pointer is big you must be talking mule deer.

I have a carved elk antler from a Zumi(?) indian in AZ. Wish I had a camera to drop a photo inline.

[/ QUOTE ]

AVID is a huge hunter too and really good with a bow! Im gonna have to fight to keep him away from mah cute lil deer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 01:35 PM

They are elk antlers. Trust me, I know. The pair are large to me, and that is what counts.

Most Zuni live in New Mexico near the Arizona border though there is a samller reservation in Arizona proper.

Elk antler and bone was used by many indian tribes. For example, the Northwest tribes used carved/sharped elk bone for hooks utilitize in catching salmon and/or ocean fish.

-Zeno
Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM

he is from the east coast and a five point rack there is a ten point one. they count each side.
there were elk all over the u.s in the past before man ate them all. or wiped them out because they competed with cows for grass.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Hey Ray,

Were having the same troubles here in Washington. Snowpack is about 14-23% (though the passes were shutdown last night due to recent snow--too little too late).

I am from the east and have been there for deer season every year since 1980. Not sure how many points they have there since rifles stay in trunk, but we see many eating corn at 4AM while playing cards. Yes we do count total points though.

I can get my arse out of bed for a big brown though.

Here in Western Washington we have no great trout streams. No nutrients. The Yak in central Wa. is ok but I was hoping to make a trip you your state's hallowed waters. Wondering, given the current state of snowpack, when that should be.

Will the flows still be ok in June?
Where would you reccomend to go?

I don't need the stellar hatches (I can fling some lead if necessary), just some active fish and a spot that is not elbow to assshole full of the orvis crowd.

Any input would be appreciated.

Have a great spring,

PT
Old 03-27-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are elk antlers. Trust me, I know. The pair are large to me, and that is what counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to Ray and the deer. I hadn't noticed both of you mentioned 5 points.

I didn't mean to question your ability to tell a deer antler from an elk [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Most Zuni live in New Mexico near the Arizona border though there is a samller reservation in Arizona proper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learn too much around here. My parents are from AZ and they got it in Tombstone. My mother is going to a show for fetishes this week(*). She said she would ask.

Mine was done by Elton Kaamasee and is somewhat of a large version of what you see if you chase the link below.

Best,
Pinga
* My mom's not a perv.