Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Default AK overplayed??

$100NL6max.

No real reads at this point, haven't been sitting to long. Utg is loosish and has broad open raise and call range. De Villain is sitting on a big stack and seems to be pretty decent, although he swings a bit which might seem like he pushes marginal edges.

Villain ($252) calls UTG, loos-ish guy ($108) bets $5, I ($78) call from the BB with AKo; villain calls as well. 3 to the flop.

Flop5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](<font color="blue">pot $16.50</font>)

I check, Villain bets 8, fold, I call 8

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](<font color="blue">pot $32.50</font>)

I check, he bets $25, I push all-in....

Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: AK overplayed??

he has a set. he bet 25 to protect his hand.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 AM

If you're gonna check the flop, you've gotta check-raise somewhere.

That said, don't do it!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 PM

You need to either bet the flop or c/r the flop. After you check/call flop. You need to lead the turn. I really have no idea where you are at with this hand with the way you played it. If he folds you are in the lead, if he calls you lose.

With the way you played it, on the turn I would either smooth call or fold. I say this because at this point the only way you are going to get more $ in the pot and be winning is if you keep him in the lead. If you call the turn, your calling the river regardless.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:18 PM

It is not as though you "Overplayed" the hand. If you would have gone to the river betting and raising with nothing but ace-high, then THAT would be a case of overplaying.

But here you hit your hand on the flop. My question to you: why didn't you bet, or check-raise this flop? What was your thinking behind the check/call? Did you think he had a second best hand and you wanted to drain some money out of him? What hand did you put him on: KQ, KJ, or a lower pair?

If you have him on a dominated hand, then I can understand the check-raise all-in on the turn. But like the op have said/written, there is a chance that you are dominated and your check/call strategy leaves you clueless about your opponents hand.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to lead the turn. I really have no idea where you are at with this hand with the way you played it. If he folds you are in the lead, if he calls you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be an argument for not betting the turn.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to lead the turn. I really have no idea where you are at with this hand with the way you played it. If he folds you are in the lead, if he calls you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree
Lead the turn, if he comes over the top you have good idea that you are beat. With that being said, I would have either led the flop or c/r flop, so I wouldn't be in this spot.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree
Lead the turn, if he comes over the top you have good idea that you are beat. With that being said, I would have either led the flop or c/r flop, so I wouldn't be in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he just calls your bet. why put money in to get information. the action to take on a particular street should be done because it is the one that yields the highest expectation based on the totality of your opponent's actions, your own hand and the community cards. if i only fold out worse hands then i'd rather check/fold to a near psb here rather leading.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he just calls your bet. why put money in to get information. the action to take on a particular street should be done because it is the one that yields the highest expectation based on the totality of your opponent's actions, your own hand and the community cards. if i only fold out worse hands then i'd rather check/fold to a near psb here rather leading.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 Things:
1. I am not putting money in just for info. There is a decent chance I am ahead.
2. Obvioulsy you want to make the most +EV play. Once we are in this spot on the turn. We have 3 choices
<ul type="square"> Check call turn and river
Lead turn and fold to reraise.
Check fold[/list]
Check/call turn and river will probably get you all in with a chance of being ahead.
Lead/Fold to pressure is cheapest way to out of the pot with knowing you are most likely behind. Either going to take down pot or lose $20. If he just calls, I check call river. You are in no worse shape than calling down, and may induce a bluff from a lesser hand.

To me check folding is too weak, since there is no real reason to think you are behind after the flop.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 PM

I'm glad this thread got some response, and thanks every one for their comments.

I had made a few judgement errors in this hand, and the first was when I failed to register that UTG had limp/called rather than just called.

Why did I check the flop? Well, in this case I thought it a close decision and I decided to take some risk. THe flop was rather uncoordinated, and I didn't expect UTG to have a K. I was more so counting on the Original raiser to continue the betting.

Also, I like to check my top pair sometimes just to let my opponents know that I don't check/fold all the time. Here I was against 2 players and that didn't seem good, but I thought that I was very likely to have the best hand and be heads up on the turn.

When UTG bet that caught me a little off guard, but because i failed to notice that he had limped in before calling the raise, a set was not my immediate concern. He did however fire into the preflop raiser on an uncoordinated board and at that point I thought this reduced his possibility of having a set a little bit because he was really risking not getting any action. I had checked, and the raiser could have a lot of hands which would nog give action here.

So I called the bet hoping he would put in a little more money on the turn. Which he did. He bet $25.

However, now I had created a bit of a pickle for myself. If I was going to do anything but fold it was very likely I was going to have to put my stack in. And seeing as how i had enough left for a decent raise, I thought the turn would be a fine place to do it. There was probably no chance on a board like this that a better hand would fold, but I thought that 2 pair might feel a bit uncomfortable against this line.

I think I should have led the flop here to safe me the trouble.