Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:25 PM

Default $55 6handed Lvl6: Push w/TT vs bigstack\'s raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">CO (t2560)</font>
Button (t510)
<font color="#C00000">HERO (t1695)</font>
BB (t1060)
UTG (t1890)
MP (t2285)

Preflop: HERO is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, HERO? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

No Reads.

It's 6handed, and I have 8.5BB left.

Since i have no reads, I'll put villian on a pair or 2 overcards.

Options I see:
1) Reraise all-in and hope he folds. Else it's probably a coin flip with me being on the good side of it.

2) Call and check/fold if flop doesnt hit me

Which would you choose, and why?

(I do not see folding as an option. Do you agree/disagree?)
Old 06-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: $55 6handed Lvl6: Push w/TT vs bigstack\'s raise?

TT is definitely +EV against the range of hands he would raise with, so I would push preflop.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 PM

TT is certainly worth an all-in with &lt;10BB's, but honestly?....I'd fold. You will be clear of the blinds the next 4 hands, and with the blind size....I'd be looking to take the opportunity to be the push-er before they come around again (even one successful steal puts you in very good shape).

The downside to simply calling is a very possible push from shorty BB behind - which will essentially commit you to the pot. Way too many overcard possibilities if you go to the flop 3-handed.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Options I see:
1) Reraise all-in and hope he folds. Else it's probably a coin flip with me being on the good side of it.

2) Call and check/fold if flop doesnt hit me

[/ QUOTE ]

Between this and your other hand, I think you think way too much about putting in ~1/3 of your stack preflop with the intention of not playing unless you get a perfect flop, which is a recipe for disaster. The flop is not going to reward you with a set or your T's as an overpair often enough to make up for the fact that you're dumping 1/3 of your chips preflop here.

Pushing over the top is good here. I think the raisers range after being folded to in the CO is substantially wider than overs or a pair, and either he folds a lot of these extra hands (which is fine) or calls with hands that you're on the good side of 70-30 with. Or, if you prefer, since you're in the SB and he's in the CO, you could go for the stop and go here. This gets you some extra fold equity but less chance of getting the money in when ahead, so I think it might be a bit of a wash. I agree that folding isn't a good idea.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM

First, you don't have any kind of read in level 6?

But anyway, my default play here would be to push. Calling sucks here, you're down to 1195 and facing a flop likely with overcards. Folding seems way weak. Okay, so the blinds are passing you: you're still 4th in chips.

You likely have the best hand. CO is the big stack and might just be stealing. Granted if he has two overs, he's getting 2:1 to call your all-in here, but I think that this is compensated by the fact that:

a) you likely have the best hand
b) he might fold
c) you're hardly guaranteed to make the money if you fold
d) if he folds or if he calls and you double up, you've dramatically improved your position

Again, I think you should have some kind of read here, but absent that, I'm pushing.