Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Default stud high

My comments in white.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___raises ___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls ___calls

4th Street - (7.00 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls

5th Street - (5.00 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___calls

<font color="white">
I really don't know what to think on this hand. Fold 3rd after the re-raise? Raise 4th and 5th with my strong pair? I figured I was a little ahead or way behind, so I folded 5th.
</font>
Old 11-10-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: stud high

The play of this one really depends on your read of your opponent. If you think he would only raise with aces get out, if he'll raise with a smaller pair or straight/flush draws I think you can put a raise in there to see where your at. But, against a King and an Ace your in a bad spot, you can't really feel comfortable unless you hit trips or a flush or something.

I really don't like calling on 3rd and 4th when your going to fold 5th if you don't improve. This seems like the go to play for alot of people in situations where they don't really know where they are at in the hand, but you only really have 2 outs in this spot and you aren't getting the implied odds you need to chase to 5th.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 PM

I didnt read your comments before i posted before...

I think its either a raise or fold 3rd street, that how I play it at least.
I don't think raising 4th or 5th is gonna do you any good with a king calling raises and an ace doing the raising, I think your way behind here way too often.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:55 PM

I think calling the raise on 3rd is borderline (but I do it all the time) had the eight been a T/J/K/A (of spades) then it's an easy call. On 4th I'd lean toward folding unless I hit a Q/8/or spade. You didn't and therefore I fold. Failing a fold on 4th, folding 5th this mandatory.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 PM

You raise in early position screaming Qs. You get called by a K, and with two power cards in, you get re-raised by an ace. I dump here. You are likely beat in one spot, if not two, or are up against a big draw and big pair.

If your plan is to dump on 5th, you must be convinced you are no good, so drop it right on 3rd. You put in two s. bets and got raised, why get trapped for any more? You put in two more bets, effectively doubling your losses in the hand.

Even if the aces had a pocket pair, and the K was on diamonds, you would be a very small fav. If the K's have a small pair, you are pretty much even money.

So since the best reasonable scenarios put you close to even money, and the worst leave you way behind, I'd get out early.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:40 AM

I prefer to fold on 3rd after the re-raise, for the reasons others have stated.