Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 01:24 PM

Default common mtt tournament mentioned on zee justin\'s website

i was just having a look at zee justin's website,and i read the article where he talks through a tournament he played...

most of it seemed pretty useful,straightforward stuff,however there was one hand described that struck me as being a little odd...
maybe its just the stakes that i play,but my experience of this situation has been different to his and i was wondering what other people think...

from the article:
"
Another huge hand came up during 2k/4k blinds. I opened for 10k in early position with AK of hearts and only the small blind called. The flop came T83 with 2 diamonds and my opponent moved all-in for 26,500. There were 24k chips in the pot. There are three hands you will be shown in this spot. The first and most likely hand is a couple of overcards that missed the flop like KQo. The second most likely hand is a draw of some sort, most likely a flush draw. The third hand he could have is a small pocket pair. Given these three ranges of hands, and that only the least likely hand is ahead of me, I decided to call. He showed AQo, and I was a huge favorite. The turn was a jack, and the river a queen – giving me the nut straight."

now i understand his reasoning here,and indeed can see why in tournaments with mainly good,thinking players it works,i find that when i have been in this situation,a lot of the time my opponent has a pair...not a great hand,but a pocket pair which panicked,or A8,KT,K8,god knows what else...
i see draws and overcards in this situation too,but i've found more often than not that he will have a pair of some description...

what do other people think?

is it just a question of stakes?
i usually play up to $50 freezouts and $30 rebuys,daily tournaments,and i dont have nearly as much experience in these bigger tournaments...
Old 11-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: common mtt tournament mentioned on zee justin\'s website

Even at low stakes calling an EP raise (out of position) for close to 25% of your stack - this late in the tourney - with AT, KT, A8 or K8 (as your suggest) would be the mark of an very loose and very poor player.

A player who obviously only have made it this far by getting lucky and showing down some unlikely (winning) hands. If you'd spent more than an orbit at the table you'd probably noticed.

At the same time, a solid player holding one of the truly dominating hands - AA, KK or (marginally) a set of Tens - could be expected not to try to bet you off the pot here.

I believe this comes down to prior experience (reads) with the player.

If none, expect (that is, more often than not) the guy to fall within the normal range - and to show down one of the hands Z suggests.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 11-19-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: common mtt tournament mentioned on zee justin\'s website

yeah i probably should have payed more attention to stack sizes...
i didnt quite realise how much of his stack he had called for...
even so,in this situation in general,but with deeper stacks,i'm wondering if the same read still applies...