Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Am I a superdonk? ($50+5 hand)

I don't think this play is bad, and by that I mean I think it's probably +EV, but I see no reason why you couldn't just raise less than all-in and possible see a flop. You can take chips off him without putting your whole stack at risk.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but JTs is not crap 3-handed with high blinds when the short stack is pushing any two...please try again...

[/ QUOTE ]

The short stack shouldn't be pushing any two, it's pretty easy to figure out that much. JTs is far from an overwhelming favorite against any 2 anyway. Please keep making this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. There's really nothing else to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell did you make this post in the first place if you think your play was so good? I really wish someone would post how good JTs does against any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually read my response? I said the decision was between calling and raising. I have the raiser covered 10X plus with 200 already in the pot. It is three-handed ITM. I am getting almost 5-1 pot odds to call for less than 10% of my stack.

How could you possibly advise anyone to fold this and be a winning poker player?

A lot of people advocated calling which I think is probably a better play. Next time I will probably just call here 80% of time and raise 20% of time. Thanks to most of the posters on this thread for insightful comments.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this play is bad, and by that I mean I think it's probably +EV, but I see no reason why you couldn't just raise less than all-in and possible see a flop. You can take chips off him without putting your whole stack at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with raising less than all-in is that the BB is getting MONSTER odds to call almost anything here. Even if I raise it 3X the BB on top of the blinds (1200), he is getting 2-1 to call. And this raise would commit 25% of my stack, which would suck donkeyballs. The only way to give him incorrect pot odds is to push.

This is why I think calling is a better play here...because it is almost impossible to get this guy to lay down a hand here without committing too much of my stack.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could you possibly advise anyone to fold this and be a winning poker player?
Thanks to most of the posters on this thread for insightful comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I daresay that my comments would have been just as insightful to you had you actually read them. NOWHERE AT ALL do I say you should have folded. It is just painfully obvious doing anything other than call is wrong. I also noticed curtains agrees you are most likely behind the original raiser here. Glad to see he isn't getting flamed into oblivion too.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:44 AM

gildwulf i like calling and cooperating here to eliminate shorty. the value of the isolation play is directly proportional to the chance your hand is good against the all-in player's. JTs is a good enough hand and you're getting great odds to call and check down, but there is no need to isolate here as you're pretty much even money against the all-in player. In order for an isolation play to be better than cooperating, you would have to beat the all-in player but have forced BB into folding a hand that would've beat you. change the Jd into an A and i like the play.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 PM

2,097,572,400 games 5.638 secs 372,041,929 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 57.5279 % 56.15% 01.37% { JdTd }
Hand 2: 42.4721 % 41.10% 01.37% { random }
Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to most of the posters on this thread for insightful comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I daresay that my comments would have been just as insightful to you had you actually read them. NOWHERE AT ALL do I say you should have folded. It is just painfully obvious doing anything other than call is wrong. I also noticed curtains agrees you are most likely behind the original raiser here. Glad to see he isn't getting flamed into oblivion too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting flamed b/c I already said a call was probably better, and your reasoning behind a call was totally wrong and the way you said it was incredibly rude.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Im not crazy about this play for reasons other than the isolation play.

Why are you isolating 3 way with no dead money in pot with a hand like JTs??? You're problem lies there, not reraising all-in, which I dont mind if the cards warrant it.

FWIW, I think BB's call is iffy too.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 PM

gild,

I agree, I like the call now too...BB's got great odds like you said w/ call or raise. Good post...my JT/QJ late-game has been blowing it lately, Ill play them like this and see how it goes...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Yea, I think a raise here (of any size) blows.