Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM

Default The A Q That went Wrong?

200NL 6 max party poker

The game was 6 handed and the chip stackes were around 400. Background: I have only been in the game for about a hour and i have built my stack up around 450. I have control over the table taking down alot of pots by betting. (The reason im telling you this is becasue it comes back to hurt me).

It is folded around to me on the button were i look at a AQos. I have been raising alot of pots stealing alot of blinds. So i come in for my normal 11.99 raise. The sb calls and the bb folds. I dont feel that sb has much from the read of things, but i know that it is gettin to the point that he is going to play back at me with any two cards ( I know this). The flop comes Ad 3h Ks. I know he does not have me beat at this point, but i know he is going to play back at me because i have been takin down so many pots in a short time. What about my flop play. I put in a pot size raise. the sb rasie me double my bet. I call knowing im ahead but waiting to see another card. the turn bring a 6h. i check and he bets 20, i know that 6h didnt help his hand at that point and i know that he is just playin back at me. i re raise him 45 tryin to get him to lay his hand down because i knew i had the best hand and he was playin back at me. I now feel that we both r pot commited and im ok with that cause i konw i got the best of it. the pot size is around 195. the flop brings a Qh. He moves all in for about 90 more and i call. He turns over a Kh9h......a back door flush....Were did i play this hand wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: The A Q That went Wrong?

$1-2 blinds?

Flop: the pot is ~$30?
you bet 30 and he raises you another 60 bringing the pot to
~$210?

If you "know" you are ahead then bet the turn, or C-R his $20 to another pot sized bet (~200), not $45 - what is the point of this?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop comes Ad 3h Ks. I know he does not have me beat at this point, but i know he is going to play back at me because i have been takin down so many pots in a short time. What about my flop play. I put in a pot size raise. the sb rasie me double my bet. I call knowing im ahead but waiting to see another card.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to have played this hand differently is on the flop. You say that you knew that you were ahead, but when he CR, you only called. Before you called, the pot is probably around 120, so no need to slow play. If you KNOW that you're ahead, then jam the pot and either make him pay for his draws and/or second pair. By calling, you gave him a false sense of security. He may have thought that he was already ahead with his Kings. But when you go over the top on the flop, then he should realize and accept that he is behind.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 PM

This is a bad beat story. If you truly KNEW you were ahead, you would have got all in on the flop or turn.

Just re-raise and then you can complain if he draws out on you. You have no one to blame but yourself. Learn from this hand.

Peace

Goodie
Old 11-11-2004, 03:51 PM

Ya Thats how i feel bout it too......
Old 11-11-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the sb rasie me double my bet. I call knowing im ahead but waiting to see another card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want to see another card? Are you trapping with just top pair?

[ QUOTE ]
the turn bring a 6h. i check and he bets 20, i know that 6h didnt help his hand at that point and i know that he is just playin back at me. i re raise him 45 tryin to get him to lay his hand down because i knew i had the best hand and he was playin back at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made him call $45 when the pot was $150? How is that making him lay down his hand? BTW, I thought you were trapping. You gave him great pot odds, much less implied odds. If you are truly confident in your hand, you need to lay him much worse odds than that. You basically gave him 3:1 odds to call when he has a flush draw, 2 kings and 3 nines that help him. You allowed him to make a correct call on the turn and it cost you. Raising to $65 might seem like a lot when he bet $20, but you have to consider the size of the pot. I've seen players in this game bet small amounts with draws trying to price themselves in by hoping you'll just call or only raise a little bit.

[ QUOTE ]
I now feel that we both r pot commited and im ok with that cause i konw i got the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering yourself pot-committed here just means that the turn bet should've been higher unless you held the stone-cold nuts and you were trying to milk him and price him in for a good, but inferior hand to hit.

[ QUOTE ]
Were did i play this hand wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You played this hand as if you flopped a monster like quads or a big full house. You milked him enough to get his entire stack to go in on the river. The problem was that he hit the 2nd nuts on you and he did it cheaply. His reraise on the flop was a bluff, but you gave him infinite odds to pick something (like one of his 5 outs) by just calling it. Then on the turn, you priced him in, especially if he believed (correctly) that you'd pay him off when he hit one of his 14 outs.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the turn bring a 6h. i check and he bets 20, i know that 6h didnt help his hand at that point and i know that he is just playin back at me. i re raise him 45 tryin to get him to lay his hand down because i knew i had the best hand and he was playin back at me. I now feel that we both r pot commited and im ok with that cause i konw i got the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing you can do about the runner-runner flush. But you should've pushed on the turn if you knew that you were both pot-committed.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:44 AM

"Where did i play this hand wrong?"

You should have raised when you called (probably) and raised more when you raised (definitely).