Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Does it have to be Limit?

I have been reading books on getting better at Limit HoldEm, but for some reason I sometimes find it easier to play No Limit because you can judge the strength of someone's hand a lot better. Is it wrong to think this way? Or should I just play Limit straight up the way these books are teaching me and go from there?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Does it have to be Limit?

I think its easier to learn one style at a time. For a lot of people, limit comes easier with its heavy emphasis on math. If you prefer no-limit, read the books that are about that subject.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 PM

Why do you find NL easier? What levels have you played? There is no correct answer to your question. You should play teh game that you are most comfortable with and can beat. One warning: Don't try to play NL using a limit book as your guide, you will get killed.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... One warning: Don't try to play NL using a limit book as your guide, you will get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

done and done
Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 AM

Layne Flack thinks its a lot easier for a limit player to learn NL than vice versa.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Layne Flack thinks its a lot easier for a limit player to learn NL than vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably true. Having fully transitioned to NL online, I find it difficult to play ABC poker when I want to donk it up at the 2/4 tables at Borgata [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (Limit there are no implied odds to speak of, where in NL, implied odds are your bread and butter.)
Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 PM

No, of course it doesn't have to be limit. Play the game you like to play. If you enjoy playing Nolimit more than limit than play that. Or if you like Omaha, or Crazy Pineapple, or Stud or whatever the game is. That's what I do.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:38 PM

This question comes up from time to time, and each time I try to push ahead with documenting the arguments for both sides so that we're not retreading the same ground.

I think http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/No-..._disadvantages is the latest we have so far, but I could swear I broke that out into a limit-vs-no-limit page. But apparently not.

In one sentence, I agree with 4_2_it and Overdrive below, with one caveat. If you decide you're in love with Crazy Pineapple, five-card draw, badougi (which I don't consider to be poker strictly speaking), or similar, you're going to have a hard time finding much good reading material. That was actually why I started with limit -- my very first poker book by Carson was 95% limit, and at the time there was no logical NL equivalent to Jones' WLLH to be my second poker book. But nowadays you have Miller followed by Harrington and then possibly soon the Future Sklansky-Miller NLHE book, so there's plenty to read.