Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 03:03 PM

Default BB Weirdness, gets there on the turn, maybe?

$2/$4 shorthanded HE Online. Table seems fairly typical, if I have an image, it's on the LAG side. Villain in this hand doesn't seem outstanding in any direction. Definitely not LAG, but is far from weak-tight. By my estimation, he's about your average "decent" 2/4 player, but I only had about 15-20 hands to gather this, so of course it could be way off.

Fourhanded

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the BB.

UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Three-Handed, pot = 3sb

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB Checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, SB folds, Hero calls.

Heads up. Pot = 3.5BB
Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, UTG 3-bets, Hero calls.

Pot = 9.5BB

River: Xx

Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero calls.

Something didn't feel right about this whole hand.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: BB Weirdness, gets there on the turn, maybe?

Calling the raise on the flop, with a drawless board, looks pretty bad. The pot is small, the player solid, you should bail out.

Having done this, bet the Turn and call a raise, and call the River. You can consider folding to a Turn raise if villain is as solid as you appear to suggest. His flop action already suggests he can beat any pair, the limp UTG PF cannot be JJ but could be 66, 33 or possibly 88 anything else looks too wierd. Once the 3-bet goes in you have to call as you now have odds to draw to your FH. You will still lose a lot of hands with bottom 2-pair, it is much more vulnerable than most give credit for.

Free ride to see the flop, betting out is fine, calling raise is definitely not.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the raise on the flop, with a drawless board, looks pretty bad. The pot is small, the player solid, you should bail out.

Having done this, bet the Turn and call a raise, and call the River. You can consider folding to a Turn raise if villain is as solid as you appear to suggest. His flop action already suggests he can beat any pair, the limp UTG PF cannot be JJ but could be 66, 33 or possibly 88 anything else looks too wierd. Once the 3-bet goes in you have to call as you now have odds to draw to your FH. You will still lose a lot of hands with bottom 2-pair, it is much more vulnerable than most give credit for.

Free ride to see the flop, betting out is fine, calling raise is definitely not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I will admit that calling that raise was a bit loose... however, I rationalized it at the time, because I've seen said player make more than his share of flop raise-bluffs against me, due to my image, and I was getting 6 to 1 immediately. I think he'd probably have to be more LAG to make these odds good enough, especially considering I could hit one of my 'outs' and still lose quite easily.

I think my bad call on the flop is what put me in such an awkward position.

Anyway, with my previous information of this player beign capable of a flop raise-bluff, and knowing he'll also raise moderate hands against me (second pair, random pocket pair,) I felt the check-raise was the best line, because I don't see him calling on one of those flop bluff hands, and if i just sucked out on top pair or an overpair or something, I want to get as much out of him as possible.

After the 3bet to my Check-raise, I'm pretty sure my hand isn't good enough of the time to merit a cap, but I feel that I need to call down, getting decent enough odds that he's just going nuts with top pair or somesuch.

I should've made my "read" more detailed. I think it edges my horrible flop call up into the "pretty bad" category ;P

EDIT: To make myself feel even better: Even if he's capable of that bluff, 99% of the time he's going to follow through on the turn. Since I'm not calling down unimproved and out of position, this call is clearly bad. I'm a monkey, that's all there is to it. Poker is so much easier when I'm not looking at cards, but at a hand history.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is so much easier when I'm not looking at cards, but at a hand history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're the only one who feels this way...