Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: tennis proposition bet against a tennis pro

He'd beat you left handed. And I'm not kidding.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking penalties then anybody that played high school or higher soccer should be able to score over half the time against a world class keeper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. My high school's goalie went on to play for DC United. In the state tourney 1 year the team had 3 games go to shootout, I think he allowed 2 goals on 17 PK's vs. top high school shooters. When the goalies that much better than the shooter, he can actually react to the pk as opposed to the guessing you see when it's 2 pros against each other.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM

Do it the guy obviously thinks your a pussy. So play the game but if you lose youll be a pussy without money....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5.0 sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a 5.0 player has that match against a recent tour pro. I really don't think there's any way you get that close if your friend is trying at all. What was your friend's highest tour rank?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Something's not right here.

I played tennis at DePaul - C-USA, now Big East. C-USA was roughly the 5th or 6th best tennis conference, we usually finished in the middle of the conference, and I played in the middle of the lineup. I was by no means a great player, but good enough to win a few state championships in high school, get a nice scholarship to play, and have a competitive college career. I will more or less make a 5.0 club player look like they don't know how to play.

I would never have taken a set off a player who reached the main draw of a major, even with your modified rules. Those guys are [censored] GOOD.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 PM

I used to be a tennis pro myself. This bet is a joke. If he really has played in a Grand Slam event, he is a GREAT tennis player. The talent difference between him and Agassi is not much, once you get into the top 100 or so players. He will OWN you. You're going to be very lucky to win one game from him. Hell, I'd take a side bet that says you won't win more than one game per set.

If I were you, I'd restructure the bet like this:

You get a 15-0 lead in every game. You get the doubles alleys. AND you get a 1 game lead in each set plus the one set lead.

Also,I'd seriously allowing him only one serve instead of two, because you will not be able to return one of his serves. Ever.

Have fun!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 PM

his skill: made it past the first round of the australian once (i believe it was 02'?).

Do you have any idea how good you have to be to get that far.

I dated a girl once who made it to the satellite tour and she kicked my ass. Unless you are better than what you say you have no chance at all
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 PM

I would take this bet altering only one thing. He's not allowed to wear shoes
Old 09-09-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont play very often your not a 5.0.

[/ QUOTE ]
i said i was about a 5.0 and that it sounded about right, it could be higher for all i know [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. when i said that i play off and on i meant during my baseball season, i usually play about twice a week and in the offseason i play all the time (great for cardio) and use it has part of my workouts. so i do play and play a lot.

as for my friend, he has been selling real estate and giving tennis lessong part time since retiring from tennis. even still he is way better than me, we all know this.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 AM

Jimmy Connors once played a sports journalist who had criticised him I think using a frypan and opposite hand.

I believe he whipped his ass
Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 AM

i think jimmy connors is God right? or at least that's who i prayed to all my life.