Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Here is the lie of the latest Republican Talking Point

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you know about the 5 day delay in the required paperwork?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its an excuse for inaction that does not hold water. National guard units from Arkansas and elsewhere were there on the first day, because they did not pretend that they were unable to act without redtape.

These governors dropped the ball and are trying to deflect blame. Note that Gov. Richardson in a Democrat with national ambitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an 'excuse'? I'm not asking for your political take on it.......

Did it, or did it not take 5 days?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:07 PM

You are missing the point. Paperwork is not a real issue.

Quote from the Michigan guard:
[ QUOTE ]
Maj. Gen. Thomas Cutler, who leads the Michigan National Guard, said he anticipated a call for police units and started preparing them, but couldn't go until states in the hurricane zone asked them to come.

"We could have had people on the road Tuesday," Cutler said. "We have to wait and respond to their need."

[/ QUOTE ]
Do we blame the feds because the states did not request help?

More information:
[ QUOTE ]
One factor that may have further complicated post-Katrina deployment arose when Louisiana discovered it needed Guardsmen to do more law enforcement duty because a large portion of the New Orleans police force was not functioning, according to Lt. Gen. Steven H. Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau at the Pentagon.

Because the agreement that was already in existence for states to contribute Guard troops to Louisiana did not include a provision on their use in law enforcement, Blum said, Gov. Blanco had to get separate written agreements authorizing Guardsmen to do police-type duty.

Still, Blum said, this took only minutes to execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a failure of planning in the Louisiana government.

Don't fall for the red herring of paperwork, it is not a factor. It is an excuse.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are missing the point. Paperwork is not a real issue.

Quote from the Michigan guard:
[ QUOTE ]
Maj. Gen. Thomas Cutler, who leads the Michigan National Guard, said he anticipated a call for police units and started preparing them, but couldn't go until states in the hurricane zone asked them to come.

"We could have had people on the road Tuesday," Cutler said. "We have to wait and respond to their need."

[/ QUOTE ]
Do we blame the feds because the states did not request help?

More information:
[ QUOTE ]
One factor that may have further complicated post-Katrina deployment arose when Louisiana discovered it needed Guardsmen to do more law enforcement duty because a large portion of the New Orleans police force was not functioning, according to Lt. Gen. Steven H. Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau at the Pentagon.

Because the agreement that was already in existence for states to contribute Guard troops to Louisiana did not include a provision on their use in law enforcement, Blum said, Gov. Blanco had to get separate written agreements authorizing Guardsmen to do police-type duty.

Still, Blum said, this took only minutes to execute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a failure of planning in the Louisiana government.

Don't fall for the red herring of paperwork, it is not a factor. It is an excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'm not trying to blame anybody, nor am I missing the point.

I'm trying to find out whether it is factual or not factual that it took 5 days for the paperwork to go through.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Trying to remold the LIE yet again.

I remember a Gov. being forcibly removed from school house steps by troops. Do you think he gave his permission for those troops to remove him?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to find out whether it is factual or not factual that it took 5 days for the paperwork to go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple factual answer: It did NOT take 5 days for the paperwork to go through.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now we know that Pres. Bush is not up to the job. We will keep this is mind for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

(My first FYP, I'm so proud!)
Old 09-03-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Are These Parts Of the Article Lies Also?

[ QUOTE ]
Bush had the legal authority to order the National Guard to the disaster area himself, as he did after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks .

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

In addition to Guard help, the federal government could have activated, but did not, a major air support plan under a pre-existing contract with airlines. The program, called Civilian Reserve Air Fleet, lets the government quickly put private cargo and passenger planes into service.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Trying to remold the LIE yet again.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember a Gov. being forcibly removed from school house steps by troops. Do you think he gave his permission for those troops to remove him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Ultimately the President can enforce federal law without the acceptance of the state. In practice, the feds and the states cooperate, and the states request help for natural disasters.

You are arguing nonsensically. To suggest that the President must use his last resort ultimate power over the states automatically, instead of working with the states is just plain silly. And I bet you would be the first to complain if any President started trampling over states willy nilly.

Little Rock was an exception to federal/state cooperation because Faubus would not see the light. Eisenhower did try to convince Faubus to yield to the valid enforcement of the law, before he saw it was necessary to force the issue.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now we know that Pres. Bush is not up to the job. We will keep this is mind for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't be - you made yourself look like a tool.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't be - you made yourself look like a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and how do you look right now, genius?