Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Should you play low PP\'s early in $10/$20\'s?

let me know what filters to use, i will tell me stats good or bad, have 2500+ tournaments in my PT...
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM

I do for sure (although I play at 'Stars which have deeper stacks, dunno about PP). I will limp any pair or call a reasonable size raise at level 1, limp in mid-late position at level 2, limp middle pairs in late position (or after other limpers) at level 3. When the blinds get to 50/100 I do it very rarely (maybe a big family pot)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:58 PM

I also play at stars, but Im debating whether it should be done on party, Im sure we all agree that on stars limping is correct.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 AM

I would not mind seeing some PT data on PP.

I would like to add that I like Pocket pairs when the flop comes paired. A paired flop is less likely to have helped anyone so a bet at the pot can take it down. Of course this is a way ahead way behind play. Just another factor to consider.

--
tjh
Old 11-24-2005, 09:59 PM

I've been thinking about this recently. I've been limping them for 15 chips in Level 1 but folding 77 and worse in level 2. I think that's okay, but I've noticed some of my favourite posters saying that they should be folded.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 PM

I'm folding 66 and worse. I think 77 is ok. Obviously, there are still a lot of times I play them, shorthnaded and on the blinds. I may limp with small pairs on level on, then give up limping 22-66 on level 2.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this recently. I've been limping them for 15 chips in Level 1 but folding 77 and worse in level 2. I think that's okay, but I've noticed some of my favourite posters saying that they should be folded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 AM

I'm assuming most of these responsees are almost exclusive to Party? I play at Stars where you have t1500 so I play alot looser in the earlier rounds, definitely limping with any pp. Because of the drastic increase in starting chips limping more is better at Stars correct? Or am I missing something that it is still right to be incredibly tight until the later rounds?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming most of these responsees are almost exclusive to Party? I play at Stars where you have t1500 so I play alot looser in the earlier rounds, definitely limping with any pp. Because of the drastic increase in starting chips limping more is better at Stars correct? Or am I missing something that it is still right to be incredibly tight until the later rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you're right, limping any PP and even calling raises after you've limped is much less borderline and much more +$EV with a T1500 stack than a T800 stack.

At party I usually dont "open limp" smaller PPs, I wait for someone else to make a move before me because:

1. You get a better estimate of how many people youre gonna share the pot with.

2. It usually takes a bigger hand to raise lots of limpers than to raise just one limper or open raise, thus you are more likely to get to see your flop without being reraised.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:13 PM

Why does no one say anything about the players at the table? If you are at a very passive table, where there are frequently 5 players or more seeing the flop, and people don't mind going to showdown with bottom pair, your small pp's are great.

If you are at a table where the average player is TAG, few people seeing the flop, and often for a raise and where people don't 'chase', they are not as good.

This is true right? Then doesn't that mean that you should limp less with low pp's as you go to higher buy-ins? It would be nice if some g00t player made everything clear. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 22-66 may give you a slight +ChipEV, but it seems that it gives you a slight -$EV when you use ICM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
What do you mean by "when you use ICM".