Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Painful whine needs to get head straight.

[ QUOTE ]
when in tourneys
one must play
more aggressively
to accumulate chips
else one will get
short-stacked
and knocked out

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be an area....I may not be aggro enuf now. Not sure really. I rarely play a pot without raiseing 1st in. oh I guess I do early sometimes with a suited connector or baby PP trying to hit the flop hard. But thats when relative stack size to blinds is no big deal in first couple rounds of tournament. hell I havent made a flush or nut straight in at least the last 5 events I played. This last one tho I played back at one of thoe huge stacks with A3d on a flop of 45KJ with 2 diamonds....I flopped the diamond draw, he mini bet, I insta called with the intent of shoving 2/3rds of my stack on any turn card. He again fired a mini bet and then mucked when I popped it. I was short stacked so those chips were gonna get in by the turn anyways. this guy had 8 times my stack.

But you may be right about not being aggressive enuf. What tracker numbers should I be looking for?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be Aggressive and knocked out much better than timid and knocked out...that's the only chance your 72o can be QQs when AKx hits the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny thing about that above. Cash game last week...I have QJs I open raised (400max) to 16. Flop hit me hard...Ad,Kd,10c. BB bets 25, I popped it to 50, he called. Turn is a blank, he checks, I fire 125.00 he CHECK RAISES ALL-IN WITH QQ!!!!! River is a J for a freaking split pot.

Think this is what they mean by running bad? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

agreed...but not when short stacked and they arent. Am I missing something there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, thats why you make this move when you have chips, so that you don't get short stacked. When You have 6-8 BB you just have to have a good hand.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:25 PM

hell 98 off would look like a monster to me lately...hehe [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 04:30 PM

Sounds like your problem might be aquiring a sizeable stack. This might be because you are too predicatable. Try mixing it up a little bit now and then. Early on in a tournament try limping with some of the hands you would normally raise with. Then try raising some of the hands you would normally limp with. Don't do it all the time, but try mixing up your play just a little bit. Keep your opponents from knowing when you have a premium hand.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 03-18-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

agreed...but not when short stacked and they arent. Am I missing something there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, thats why you make this move when you have chips, so that you don't get short stacked. When You have 6-8 BB you just have to have a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea thats been the biggest problem...getting chips. I havent been within 25% of the avg stack after the break in ages. Commonly I have 25% of the avg stack which creates a bit of a problem. I have the patience to just wait it out and shove. This often gets me further. But not recently. I still think there is a hole somewhere. But not sure where.

My last final table...I was short stacked and 3-4 guys knocked themselves out quickly playing against the big stacks. Then 6 and 5 handed I went on a stealing rampage and became a slight chip leader. Unfortunately 2 hands in a row I get KQ suited, 5 handed, and get crushed. I naturally flopped the huge draw on each. And yes I raised preflop. in fact I reraised a tight ass on one and he thought and thought and called with A7 suited. I read him correct, I fired all-in on the flop draw and he called with Ahigh and won uniproved to my 15 outter. alas knocked out 5th...oh the other one was against J7o and he turned a 7.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your problem might be aquiring a sizeable stack. This might be because you are too predicatable. Try mixing it up a little bit now and then. Early on in a tournament try limping with some of the hands you would normally raise with. Then try raising some of the hands you would normally limp with. Don't do it all the time, but try mixing up your play just a little bit. Keep your opponents from knowing when you have a premium hand.

Cheers,
Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

you may be right here...ty.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM

hey bigfishhead, here is a suggestion: enter 10 low buy-in (say ~$20) MTT sometime over the next months or so and play in a style you don't normally play. Don't let yourself slip into your natural mode of play. Compare those results to the results you've been getting and see if you can find any new insights into your game. Online makes these types of experiments easy and cheap. If you take on a looser, more aggressive persona in a few of those "experiement" games, I bet you'll be surprised by the results...my two big final table finishes have been when doing this experiment (last night took 2nd in UB $30+3 200 person MTT doing this--and yes I sucked out a couple of times like when my all-in with 77 got called by KK and I hit a 7 on the flop).

Just an idea...sounds like you have nothing to lose by trying it...
Old 03-18-2005, 05:10 PM

I have one thing to add.

Are you betting your missed flops?

Tight players like yourself HAVE to be aggressive after the flop,otherwise the LAg's will run over you.

For instance,you raise with JJ,get one caller on a king high flop.He bets out about a 3rd of the pot.you HAVE to reraise unless stack sizes dictate you will always be called or you will have to call if he re-pops.

Dont back off everytime you miss otherwise the strong players will just run over you.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how either of these factors should be preventing you from stealing? Stealing has nothing to do with your cards and everything to do with your position, your stack, how tight the blinds are, and what the blinds stacks are.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem is that at the low limit MTTs, I still have calling stations who will call with all sorts of garbage after a raise. Does this take stealing out of my game plan entirely? I had some joker call my LP raise on the button with J9. He had shown a propensity to call even though his chip stack was short enough that he should have re-raised or folded. I'm confused. I'm having real troubles in MTTs recently and part of it is knowing when to give up the pot.

Occasionally I'll run into a real hand when stealing, but it's the times where I don't and they call me anyway that has me steamed.