Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 05:00 PM

Default 2nd set....monotone flop...preflop raiser

Just kinda wondering if I played this right....I think I did. I dont see any way to save dough and I think I have the best hand and am charging the draw a bunch.

I have 77 in the BB (1-2 NL)...couple loose limpers...Laggy guy makes it 12.oo to go...2 callers to me...no question I call. 4 see the flop:

K74 all diamonds.....I fire all-in 118.00 into a $50 pot.

I think I have the best hand...I want to make it expensive to draw....and I have outs. raiser calls....with AK Ad naturally. Well he got there on the river. I dont see any way to avoid going broke or rather getting all-in on any street given his draw and TPTK with the pot size etc.

Any opinions or is it just one of those things ?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: 2nd set....monotone flop...preflop raiser

you got all the money in as a big favorite. What more do you want.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:04 PM

I would rather check raise all in than go all in in front of him. If he has AK with no diamond he folds, but he would bet that if you check to him first, then he'll fold to the check raise.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:11 PM

I hear ya....I feel like I did everything right and there is no way I can get away from this...at any point. Even running through some different "what ifs'" given the pot size and aggressive nature of my opponent. Yes I had the best of it. Does anyone not lead hard to a flop like this with this type player? I'm wondering if I coulda done a "weak lead" and saved dough...But kinda doubt that.

But at the same time I have been getting my ass handed to me flopping sets and flush draws getting there lately. As of late I am about 0-5 for sets flopped vs flush draws. Small sample yes. Just makes it a real drag losing that many in a week or less....And all in a row too.

Unfortunately for me also, I have been getting offered very good odds when they have a set and have made MAYBE 1 in 10...so many of these players are playing just the opposite. Giving great odds to catch and taking bad odds to catch. I wont call with a nut flush draw when the bet size nor implied odds of the stack doesnt offer it. But man I think we see plenty that will...Guess thats why we play. Just waiting for the cards to "break even" I guess.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather check raise all in than go all in in front of him. If he has AK with no diamond he folds, but he would bet that if you check to him first, then he'll fold to the check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally with the multi-players and the flush board I think it is terrible to give any draw a free ride which naturally could happen. Especially if he has AQ with the Qd. However, most often, if I have the AK with the Ad and it is checked to me I will fire hard. Knowing I have a good hand...maybe not the best...but with legit outs. So folding to a check raise is out...that in fact gives the AK better odds since he has built the pot larger already. And the remaining stack difference is negligeable. I think the lead for all the cookies, NOT offering correct odds was correct. The few times I am up against a bigger set?.....oh well...that happens too. Take the money.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:18 PM

please stop saying you want to save money on this hand.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:26 PM

lol your right...touche