Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

About a year and a half ago I one of my molars (bottom right, second from the back) cracked and I had to have it pulled. (the damned thing previously had an abcess under it and I had to have 2 root canals, since the first guy didn't get it all out). I decided to go with an implant instead of a crown. I got the tooth removed and the titanium screw put in (with a cap on it) and was told that I needed to wait 6 months before getting the implant and the new crown put on.

In the meantime I changed jobs and lost my insurance (which was only covering a small part of this anyway) and just sorta forgot about the whole thing. It never bothers me, but I suppose I should finish this whole thing and get the new tooth put in. How much damage am I doing by waiting on this? When I feel it with my tongue, it doesn't seem like the tooth above the missing one has moved at all, but what do I know?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered

[ QUOTE ]
I want to sign up for these amalgam wars, but can't decide which side. What are the relative good and bad points about each side?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you can sign up for the evil activist side who believes that any kinda non natural stuff in your body is bad. They fear that the small amount of mercury used in dental amalgam materials (ie silver fillings, actually a mix of copper, silver, mercury and tin iirc), leaks out into your blood and causes mercury poisoning (signs of mercury poisoning make you kinda crazy).

The other side is the greedy dentists and dental researchers who dont want any kind of public health scare/scandal and want to keep living cushy lives.

Anyways, its been determined that the amount leaked into the saliva and blood and swallowed is small enough for your body to get rid of or handle.

-JP
Old 10-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Do I get a bigass drill that fires mercury bullets then?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Question:
I have a small black stain in between one of my front teeth and the one next to it- kind of looks like something caught in between the teeth, and it's up close to the gum line. No amount of flossing is taking it away. What the hell is it, and what will be involved with fixing it?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question:
I have a small black stain in between one of my front teeth and the one next to it- kind of looks like something caught in between the teeth, and it's up close to the gum line. No amount of flossing is taking it away. What the hell is it, and what will be involved with fixing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

is it hard or soft? Does it stick? Is there sensitivity?

-JP
Old 10-15-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Question:

[/ QUOTE ]

is it hard or soft? Does it stick? Is there sensitivity?

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this same exact thing. I don't know what you mean by hard or soft, it's almost like it's part of the tooth. No sticking or sensitivity in my case.

What the hell is it?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have this same exact thing. I don't know what you mean by hard or soft, it's almost like it's part of the tooth. No sticking or sensitivity in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, same here. Doesn't seem to be sticky when I floss, doesn't hurt at all, just an ugly black spot.

Disclaimer: I drink mass doses of caffeine daily- but I would think that would lead to overall staining, not one spot.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:53 PM

[censored] in the chair yet?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:48 AM

I have 2 questions

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I lost the ability to taste on roughly 1/2 of my tounge. Why?

I grind my teeth. I think this is partially due to my medication (adderall). I believe this is probably damaging my teeth, as well as starting to cause me some pain. Any solutions?

Melch
Old 10-22-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

I was just quoted for three crowns: $2060.00. Is this a good price?