Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: The real winner of the Vietnam War.

[ QUOTE ]

But amongst all this discussion of Vietnam, I often wonder if the wounds will ever heal.

[/ QUOTE ]

....for some, the wounds of war will never heal.

They reappear at the most unexpected times, and in the most unsuspecting ways.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
china won as they found out we were gutless and wouldnt bomb their supply lines leading into the country. we gave them a green light to take whatever they need in asia, knowing it would be mostly talk when push came to shove.
who lost. my friends that died because we didnt go win the war and just let it drag on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Well put. Thank you.

And China's kicking our asses again today. With cheap products we American consumers can't seem to get enough of. The problems we're going to have with that country would make an interesting thread, I think.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God Won.

Good Bye.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

G old O il D rugs
Old 09-25-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: The real winner of the Vietnam War..hmmm.!

..kinda sounds like afgan and iraq; just sit around in a "war" that has no set lines; and wait for a guerrilla attck..

hmmm..

gl
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the reinflation, the fellow who started the other thread felt that even though we might have lost the Vietnam War, it enabled us to win the Cold War, so we were just discussing the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I read most of that thread. I enjoyed your responses and points. I understand why the thread evolved the way it did. And just for the record, I have, over the years, learned much from your usually cogent posts.

Vietnam - it feels like a giant train wreck all done in slow motion in my mind - and like a sickly darkness that disturbs my entire early years, with repercussions that still reverberate. I'm sure many feel the same way.

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes we were evil and bad and vindictive. Just like all human beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but there is no surprise in that I suppose.

Anyway, I think I'm done with all this - at least on a public forum.

Take care my friend.

-Zeno
Old 09-25-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Cosmic Ray

[ QUOTE ]
China won as they found out we were gutless and wouldnt bomb their supply lines leading into [Vietnam].

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, Ray. That must have been it. I mean this must be why China attacked Vietnam soon after the American troops left!

And this must be why, right after Vietnam, all the dominoes started falling under China's weight and we now have Communist Japan, Communist Taiwan and Communist Singapore. Jus' like wily ol' Westmoreland predicted...

Christ.

[ QUOTE ]
My friends ... died because we didnt go win the war and just let it drag on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short of dropping nuclear weapons on the whole country (now there's destroying the village in order to save it, for ya!) I do not know -- what else were LBJ and Nixon supposed to throw at 'em? Five hundred thousand soldiers plus more bombs than dropped during the whole of World War II plus the whole of the South Vietnamese Army - and they still could not put down the rebels in the South nor the "ragtag vermin" of the North.

Gee, you think maybe the Vietnamese DID NOT want us there?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Lessons Learned From Vietnam

Political support for the war is important.

Political support starts with having the American populace mostly supporting the war.

The media are crucial in shaping the American populace's opinion -- even if only through reporting what happens.

Therefore, we must control as much as possible all reports from the media reaching the mainland.

This means control at both ends : At the source and at the end.

The source will be controlled through a series of actions that (A) limit access of the media to areas where we don't want them to be, and (B) guide them, if possibly embed them, into areas where we do want them to be. (Areas in the sense of both "issues" and "geography".)

The end will be controlled by having the media owned by as few corporations as possible and by ensuring that those corporations are war-friendly.

Sidenote: The American public, like all publics, is getting awfully upset over figures and reports of dead people. Especially of dead American soldiers and of dead "women and babies" from the native population.
This necessitates preventive measures :
- Keeping secret the number of casualties that our war causes to the natives. (Deny all estimates as "speculation".)
- Keeping the media away from all visual reportage of American casualties. (E.g. Do not allow pictures or videos of American-flag draped coffins.)

For a more detailed analysis of the Lessons Learned, tune in again tomorrow, when our distinguished speaker, Dr Henry Kissinger will be here. The above was culled from his articles, speeches and books.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 AM

Default The new frontier

[ QUOTE ]
China's kicking our asses again today. With cheap products we American consumers can't seem to get enough of.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's just capitalism. [shrug]
Old 09-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: The real winner of the Vietnam War..the french.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..andy: even the vietnamese realize it is not worth hating the french; just loathe them; lol; but ya know; chickensh+t or not;

they got out of viet nam; honour be damned

think about it!!!

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2005, 01:00 PM

Ray, forgot to add and say that I'm sorry for your friends and the loss.

-Zeno