Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: interesting WPT tournament hand

he has a set of 5s~ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he has a set of 5s~ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero still should push. JT is just as likely as KQ or XX. The Harrington 10% is still possible (small pocket or something), and villain probably has hero squarely on AK and won't pay him off if he fans the river when he is drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make much sense.

Do you think the villian is putting together an elaborate bluff, putting his amateur opponent on TPTK, then cold calling with a random pair, with 4 players left to act behind him??? Villain has SOMETHING here. Maybe its TJ maybe its KJ, but a mid pocket, or air is incrdibly unlikely.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, like Ansky said,

also I thought the hand was televised.

Hero still should push. JT is just as likely as KQ or XX. The Harrington 10% is still possible (small pocket or something), and villain probably has hero squarely on AK and won't pay him off if he fans the river when he is drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]Couldn't agree with this any less.

Yes, TJ is almost as possible as KQ/XX, but you're throwing away every single read if you think there's anywhere near a 10% chance it's a bluff. And if it is a bluff, it will be with TJ or a "bluff" with KJ (hands pro knows are beat).

I think one time I heard a rule about never trying to bluff someone who doesn't know what's going, and there's been nothing shared so far to show that Internet Donk is capable of realizing what a good bluff this would be if Pro had air (or relative air). The impression I've gotten is that Donk has tunnel vission with TPTK and favorable odds.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM

Hero folds.

Look at it from the Pro's point of view:

1. He sees the donk try to raise UTG, signalling a strong hand.

2. He then sees the donk bet into a huge field - he is not doing this with JJ. Pro has to put him on at least top pair.

3. Donk checks the turn, signalling weakness (or maybe inducing a bluff so he can blast any sort of draw out of the hand with a check-raise?). In order for the pro's bet to work he has to believe that either his hand is best, or that the donk will be able to make a fairly big lay down. Granted the weak-tight read could inspire him to make this play, but the chances of getting called here are way too good for him NOT to have a hand that beats TPTK.

My two cents,

Sam

Edit: What is the pro's stack like? If he can make this play without getting himself in trouble, I think there is a better chance the donk is ahead. If he's got a similar stack to the donk, I'm inclined to believe him.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero curses himself out for betting instead of checkraising the flop, then figures there's a 3:1 chance of being good here (not to mention the ace outs) so this is a no brainer call after which he can go cry himself to sleep in a side game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, hes getting worse than 2-1... not 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's stack is all going in, he's getting about 2.8:1 or so.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Maybe,

a pocket pair still has outs for starters.

This hand is about fold equity against a tight player. I have no idea what villain's capabilities are here but hero has backed away from the hand (after leading the flop), and villain doesn't need a hand to represent KQ or (55). Hero is probably uncomfortable for having missed the opportunity to raise BTF. Essentially I think the possibility of the Harrington 10% is not out of the question.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero curses himself out for betting instead of checkraising the flop, then figures there's a 3:1 chance of being good here (not to mention the ace outs) so this is a no brainer call after which he can go cry himself to sleep in a side game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, hes getting worse than 2-1... not 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's stack is all going in, he's getting about 2.8:1 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the bet is essentially all in, lets just say villain is betting heros 5500, and the pot is 4500. thats 10000-5500. Worse than 2-1. What am I missing.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe,

a pocket pair still has outs for starters.

This hand is about fold equity against a tight player. I have no idea what villain's capabilities are here but hero has backed away from the hand (after leading the flop), and villain doesn't need a hand to represent KQ or (55). Hero is probably uncomfortable for having missed the opportunity to raise BTF. Essentially I think the possibility of the Harrington 10% is not out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think the villain called with say... 99? There is really no logic behind your reasoning, you are just saying its possible. I can't honestly beleive the villain would call with junk with 4 people behind him, with the intention of blowing the internet donk off of tptk on a blank turn.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since the bet is essentially all in, lets just say villain is betting heros 5500, and the pot is 4500. thats 10000-5500. Worse than 2-1. What am I missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any of my posts about math/pot odds being exponentially worse before 6 PM-ish since that's when my day basically starts [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Heh, at least I don't add that way in games.

Umm, 2:1...makes it closer. I think I can outthink myself and fold, but I don't like either very much and really want to checkraise the flop.