Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Default how do you play these hands?

I was playing on my other compter so I didn't have the benefits of pokertracker or gametime+ ... no stats, just my crappy memory. All hands are from the same session where I played 83 hands.

HAND#1
Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

---------------------------------

HAND#2
Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

HAND#3

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

HAND#4

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

I'll post results and my thoughts later.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: how do you play these hands?

Hand 1: good
Hand 2: bet turn
Hand 3: looks fine, though I might c/r the flop.
hand 4: I probably wouldn't even bother betting this flop. I also don't know I'd call the river bet. Read dependant.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Hand 1: It looks good to me.

Hand 2: I'm not crazy about the turn check-behind, but I guess it worked, so long as BB didn't whiff on a turn checkraise with a straight or a set.

Hand 3: I would probably checkraise the flop instead of the turn, particularly since there are two broadway cards on the board and a third player in. However, it does look like your plan was successful, though it's possible you bullied MP1 into just calling you down with, say, AQ or another KQ.

Hand 4: After your stab on the flop didn't quite work, I would consider giving up on the turn if I didn't improve. Or maybe I'd fire again, hoping to drive out 88 or something. It would sort of depend on the table. And I don't know the Paradise 2/4 game, so it's hard for me to comment on this one.

Anyway, though, you did improve, and I like a bet-fold turn plan.

I guess I'd probably call the bet on the river, but I wouldn't be so happy about it. I'm concerned about a weak ace here.

A read on UTG+1 would help.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM

1: NH
2: Bet the turn but since you did not I'd call the 3bet on the river expecting a set of 7's which he wanted to check-raise on the turn. Farfetched? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
3: I'd just bet the flop
4: I'd fold pre-flop, fold the flop
Old 06-23-2005, 04:35 PM

Hand one is uber standard.

Why on Earth didn't you bet the turn in hand 2? I raise the river, and call the 3-bet barring a read. I will cap against more aggressive players, but just call against LP's.

Ugghhh. Hand 3. I may be weak-tight preflop, but I fold KQo, especially because the player raised a limper. If he open raises, then we have a play. I don't like the c/r, I would have c/c, c/c, bet. I think this is standard way ahead/way behind situation.

Definitely fold PF in hand 4. Take the free card. Bet the turn when the check to you. I'm still iffy on the river call. If he's LP, I'd prolly fold, because he tried to slowplay, but in actuallity, I'd probably call.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:38 PM

1: standard
2. bet the turn if CR call and raise the river K call a 3-bet
3. don't wait for the turn CR the flop
4. Check through the flop with 5 players. edit: t9o isn't a MP3 hand fold PF
Old 06-23-2005, 04:39 PM

Hand 1: I would wait for the turn to raise. Protect your hand.
Hand 2: Why check the turn? You've no reason to believe that your hand is no longer good. Bet the turn. If opponents are on draws, they will only pay you off now. If they have a straight, you'd rather find out now (the way you played it it's still not clear if the opponent wanted to C/R the turn or is just going crazy because he hit two pair and you showed weakness on the turn; you're behaviour either won you a lot of bets because you got lucky and he hit 2pair with Kx (but will usually just cost you 1BB when he doesn't hit it) OR it cost you a lot of bets because you overplayed vs. a straight).

Hand 3: I'd check-raise the flop. If villain does not have a piece of this, he won't call a turn raise, so I'll cash in now. If he's ahead of us, I'd also rather find out now. Oh, and only check if you are sure that villain will bet. Some people play AK or JJ or some such hand very passively here and will check behind on the flop, which would suck for you.

Hand 4: I fold this preflop -- I don't like T9o except perhaps on the button because flopping 2 pair isn't very great (straight draws), a T is very vulnerable to kicker problems (JTo, QTo and KTo are all marginal hands that lots of LP players consider premium hands and love to play) and you can't flop a flush draw. That said, check/fold the flop. Turn is fine (assuming no one else would have bet the flop if you had checked). The river call is very read-dependant, but if it is -EV, it's probably not by much.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 PM

Default RESULTS

Thank you all. I think I benefitted from all your reasonings!

H1:
After reviewing the play and seeing that MP2 flopped a set of 4's, I thought I overplayed the flop. When he 3 bets, maybe I should have gone into check-call mode until I improve. Is this just being results oriented? Do I win more in the long run playing this aggressively in this situation?

H2:
After MP2 calls the flop I figure I'm ahead and he'll likely fold to a turn bet. So I got cute and wanted to induce a bluff on the river. Then when I improve to two pair and he bets and re-raises, I figured I had a better two pair. He showed 77 for a turned set. Feather in someones cap on their guess/I mean read [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

H3:
I'm just defending my big blind with a semi-premium hand. I hoped he had AK or AJ or JJ. He showed AQo. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

H4:
I think a fold pre-flop is best. But I changed it up. I bet the flop and got it heads up. Opponent showed Kc7c for a rivered flush.

Ugghh-ly.

Thanks all.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

"Opponent showed Kc7c for a rivered flush. "

love the fish.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all. I think I benefitted from all your reasonings!

H1:
After reviewing the play and seeing that MP2 flopped a set of 4's, I thought I overplayed the flop. When he 3 bets, maybe I should have gone into check-call mode until I improve. Is this just being results oriented? Do I win more in the long run playing this aggressively in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's results oriented. I personally would wait for the turn to raise in general, but if you're going to play the flop aggressively, you should not slow down. His 3-bet can mean a lot of things, like top-pair A kicker, etc.

Actually, you got off cheap. Villain turned into a weak little wimp and did not raise your turn bet, which is a huge error on his part.

Always keep in mind that when you lose to a set with an overpair, if you did NOT lose a lot of money on the hand, then you probably played it way too passively.