Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Minimum wage

Minimum wage is what you get paid to 12 table $1/$2 limit games online.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 PM

only if you really suck
Old 12-03-2005, 09:20 PM

Please do not respond in my thread. I am not arguing that supply and demand are not extremely interrelated. I am wondering if there is any proof that minimum wage affects employment. You are not welcome here.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:27 PM

Googling "Unemployment" + "Minimum Wage" isn't that hard... in doing so you will discover that they are connected. This thread is pointless without debate, especially if you will not accept fundamental reasoning.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Googling "Unemployment" + "Minimum Wage" isn't that hard... in doing so you will discover that they are connected. This thread is pointless without debate, especially if you will not accept fundamental reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying they are not connected. I am saying I do not know if they are or if they are not. There has been one link so far (and it looked like your standard partison website, biased in the extreme). If this is so 'basic' then it should be very simple to prove.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying they are not connected. I am saying I do not know if they are or if they are not. There has been one link so far (and it looked like your standard partison website, biased in the extreme). If this is so 'basic' then it should be very simple to prove.

[/ QUOTE ]

The states with the 3 highest minimum wages have the 3 highest unemployment rates. A high minimum wage hurts the people that become unemployed from it, it hurts businesses because they have to pay more, and it hurts the consumers who have to pay more for the goods and/or services. The only ones who are helped are the ones who get the raises.

Macro and Micro econ should be a required course in high school. Too many people are hoodwinked by the left-wing politicians into believing import quotas, high minimum wages, etc are good for the economy. I'm sure a majority of you liberals would second guess your beliefs about the economy. You can keep your gay marriage concerns and whatever, but no way you'll be touting import quotas, price ceilings, and minimum wage increases after taking those courses. Join the Libertarian Party.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...;searchdiff=42
http://angry-economist.russnelson.com/minimum-wage.html
http://www.mises.org/fullstory.aspx?Id=1603
Old 12-03-2005, 11:31 PM

I'll quote directly from my econ textbook:

[ QUOTE ]
Here are 12 propositions with which at least 7 out of every 10 economists agree:
... * A minimum wage increases unemployment among young workers and low-skileed workers...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-03-2005, 11:35 PM

I do not doubt your textbook says that; that does very little to convince me of it's veracity. Also, do not many economists look at atleast a small degree of unemployment as a positive thing?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 AM

It sounds like you won't be convinced no matter what anyone says.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please do not respond in my thread. I am not arguing that supply and demand are not extremely interrelated. I am wondering if there is any proof that minimum wage affects employment. You are not welcome here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you are the one who isn't welcome. Working on that 3rd star, eh?

Supply and demand set the price. FACT.

In this case, the product is labor. If you set the minimum price of labor to be higher than the market price, there will be a surplus of labor. This means unemployment.