Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Am i supposed to get away from this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (8 handed)

MP2 ($$240.05)
CO ($$1560.20)
Button ($$441.95)
SB ($$346)
BB ($$674.70)
UTG ($$611.85)
Hero ($$380)
MP1 ($$423.15)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls $4, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($14) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, BB bets $12, Hero raises to $30, SB folds, BB raises to $100, Hero raises to $376, BB calls $276.

Turn: ($766) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>

River: ($766) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>

Final Pot: $766
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $766, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB ($766).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 9s Qs (straight, queen high).
Hero shows Th Jh (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: BB wins $766. </font>
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Am i supposed to get away form this?

what do you put your opponent on?

--turnipmonster
Old 05-24-2004, 11:17 PM

not the absolute nuts obviously. I thought T8 or J8, thats usually what the bb has when he pots it and then reraises...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:12 AM

I think you could get away from it, it would be a good fold. It's okay to fold a winner once in a while too, if that allows you to get away from a lot of losers. Give your opponents more respect at the $2/$4 PStars game. Don't forget that you're playing with 100xBB stacks not 50xBB.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Am i supposed to get away from this?

I'm not sure if you can get away from it but I don't like your last raise at all. A halfway decent player is unlikely to call without a set or straight. Unless you think he'll call with crappy 2 pair here or top/over pair (and would he really make the last raise on that board with one pair?), if he calls you're toast. The way I see it your raise on this flop says you have at least a strong hand such as an overpair or two pair and his reraise says he can beat that, or he has a very strong draw. That leaves him with only a few hand syou can beat and a lot you can't, and he'll only call the final raise with the ones you can;t.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Am i supposed to get away from this?

Even at Party alarm bells would be going off when he reraises your raise on the flop. At pokerstars I would be feeling sick and would be 99% sure I was about to be shown a straight (unless he's been playing fast and loose which is not the MO of most stars players).

Therefore I think its a fold. If you really won't fold at least just call his raise to see how he bets on the turn. He might slow down if he only has two smaller pair though by calling you're starting to show weakness if he does have 2 pair and are already digging yourself in deeper. So all in all I think you have to put him on the straight and get away from it.

Another way of looking at it is you know he has more than one pair, so its a smaller two pair, trips or a straight. If you fold you've only put $34 in the pot by then whereas to go on you're about to throw in another $276. Seems an awful big imbalance there (someone better with odds could probably tell you the relative probabilities of two pair, str8s, and trips here).

Having said that I sympathise, its easy looking back but always hard to lay down at the time. In fact the reason I found this post interesting is that this is exactly what I'm trying to work on on my own game right now because I've got caught a few times with similar hands.

What always annoys me after is that even when I'm calling (or raising all in as you did here) I know I'm beat, I know what he's going to show me, and I'm sick before the cards are turned over. Occasionally your hand is a winner, but I find that more often than not in a situation like this its not. On that basis I would agree with the other poster above that you may invariably lay down a winner form time to time but that's OK because you'll be better off in the long run than if you keep calling these situations.