Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Live 1-3 NL at the Wynn

Alright, I know that preflop is questionable. Just assume it and take it in stride. My image is definitely tightish, I am only playing this hand because I don't expect a raise from the blinds and my opponents in general play bad.

Full table. Five limpers to me in the button, I look down and my cards connect, 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I limp ($100). SB completes and BB checks, 8 of us.

Flop 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($24). Checks to UTG+1 who bets $15. He has ($200) behind and seems to be one of those thinking bad players. He talks a lot about rakeback and how he lives off of being a party affiliate but he likes to bluff into people who very obviously have made hands and is getting caught a lot. He also is too loose preflop. However I'm thinking this is less likely to be a bluff because he keeps getting called recently and he seems less, I dunno, interested in the betting. I don't play live much but I don't think he's bluffing this time.

Folds to CO ($300) who is one of the tightest players preflop but is willing to take stabs postflop, though still in general pretty tight and good. I've seen him make what I think are bets into unclaimed pots with air but I've never seen him get caught bluff raising. He makes it $45.

Hero...?

P.S. To the tight 2+2er in the 4 seat who turned 21 today, yes it was obvious you were 2+2 when you knew what the Dan Druff Stars bad beat post was about, just like I'm sure you realized I was 2+2. Happy birthday.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Live 1-3 NL at the Wynn

I guess the lack of replies means this is an easy.... what?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM

fold pf. u have 33bb behind, play big cards and play them fast. u really need larger stacks to make playing trash profitable. (sounds funny when i say that...lol) also, when playing small stakes NL, especially shallow stacks, sc's and trash are hard if not impossible to play prfitably. post flop...easy fold...in an unraised pot any cards could be out...i wouldnt be surprised if one guy had a small-medium pp and the raiser had str8 or pair+flushdraw something like that.....i mean someone could have the flat tire and u are crushed,,,who knows...easy fold./
Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Well given my cards it makes it unlikely that a set is out, unless one of them has 22. And of course A5 or 56 could be out in an 8 way pot.

It may be a leak of mine that I don't like to get involved in raising wars without the mortal nuts.

Top two is a good hand, but not a great one... but my stack is so short for a cash game. Isn't the reason for playing short that you can go broke on a hand like this and just rebuy?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 PM

It's a quite tricky and interesting hand IMO. Of course you should fold pre-flop, but let's assume you are suited.

It's push or fold IMO, since you'll be committed on the turn, and it's unlikely any turn card will make your decision any easier (unless it's a 3 or 4 of course).

You don't think UTG+1 is bluffing. If you push, I don't see a worse hand calling, so you either loose your stack (i.e. going to the turn with 4 outs) or win $84. I also don't see any hand you beat folding, so one could say you are getting about 1:1 on your money if you push.

It's also hard to put both villians on a range of hands since this could be anything between an over pair to the nuts (or a flush draw).

I fold this, but I am the most weak tight guy on this forum.

EDIT: I assume a worse hand will call and that is the re-raiser if he has the flush draw, so some of my reasoning is flawed.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you push, I don't see a worse hand calling,

[/ QUOTE ]

The CO pretty much cannot fold unless he was totally bluffing. He is getting almost 3:1, and he is good enough to understand that he just be calling with basically any draw better than a gutshot and hands like A4 or 77. However he will almost certainly fold if UTG+1 overpushes.

And as far as the button limp is concerned, I don't do it except in this exact situation. 5 limpers to me in the CO I fold. But position is power in NL and players were respecting my bets, I thought that in the right situation I could take down the pot with air often enough to make the limp +EV. Obviously what happened is not that situation but anyway.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:33 PM

Sorry. I should have made it clear: I don't see any made hand that you beat calling.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:56 PM

pooooooooooosh..lot of draws out there and pretty unlikely either has a set. Hope your top two hold up
Old 08-19-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pooooooooooosh..lot of draws out there and pretty unlikely either has a set. Hope your top two hold up

[/ QUOTE ]

No way in hell am I calling. What about the chances I am already beaten by a tight player raising big?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM

In an 8 way pot, it's not going to be uncommon to see A5. But you've got a good hand -- and many times tighties might overplay a hand like 88 here even though they limped it.

PUSH!