Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Starting hands in mid andhigh stakes NL

I have been a consistent winner at high stakes limit poker, mostly hold em. That is my game. Lately, I have been playing the live NL and 1000 NL on PP. Alot of mixed game 5-10 NL live, omaha high and holdem.

Anyway, while I have been beating the game consistently, I feel like I am loosing money due to loose preflop standards in NL holdem.
So I was wondering the consensus is in 5-10 nl holdem 10 handed starting hands. I open alot of pots for raises. Stuff that doesnt fly in limit hold em. Like small pocket pairs and suited connectors. And I fold alot of stuff I might be getting some money in in limit, like A-10 offsuit.

This all pretty standard?
any links to previous threads?
thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Starting hands in mid andhigh stakes NL

you deserve a giant chocolate chip cookie ;-)
Old 04-17-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you deserve a giant chocolate chip cookie ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like cookies, but I'm hoping for some strong players to tell me where I'm losing my money...I hate playin bad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] or at least less than optimal
Old 04-17-2005, 10:50 PM

haha
Old 04-17-2005, 10:55 PM

I am only a 400NL player (a long term winner) but those are very much opening hands except at extremely aggressive tables. The way i play is about the same. If you are losing money with these hands maybe the table is really aggressive or your postflop is not well. You have to be willing to represent certain hands alot more in NL than limit when raising preflop with like 98s.. against weak opponents who don't try to steal a 347 flop i will check behind alot with the idea that my outs are a 8,9,A,K.

This is all ABC SSNL of course but i try not to mix it up in extremely aggressive games and mix it up alot in tight passive
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM

sounds standard, are there any charts or any posts I could do comparisons with that you know of?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 PM

Fold offsuit paint in EP. It's a gem from Flynn and it's dead accurate. If you just play a lot tighter in EP that should stop the chip spewing. Also try to tighten up from the blinds...
Old 04-17-2005, 11:12 PM

I agree with that.
Late middle/late position after a limper, raise as little as 7-9s, any pair, AJo.
Thats about where I am at, depending on how the limper plays, and how the blinds play. That just spewing?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:11 AM

yeah - don't worry about preflop too much except what it does to your image for the others at the table - hence try to figure out WHEN to be raising with these hands and WHEN you want to tighten up. Keep changing gears preflop - and that'll make players make mistakes against you, which you'd like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you're winning already - but feel you're spewing too much, just remember that your overall shania is probably pretty good because of your spewing. You can probably improve a little - but eventually you'll hurt your overall winrate by folding some of these marginal hands too often.

ok - enough rambling...
Old 04-18-2005, 12:20 AM

good post, thanks for the reply.

I was also wondering if any of the players that play the party NL games regularly that have pretty large PT databases have some cut offs for profitable hands from various positions. These became very helpful to me in limit.
It seems there has to be some threshold that its just not profitable to be that loose. was wondering if 79s was starting to dance on the line, which is about the area im looking for... thanks alot