Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: BROKE AGAIN

Listen, I honestly think you should maybe stop playing......SnG's.

It seems to me that you almost don't seem to care if you win or lose.

Also, go get good at limit poker first. Some people say you should start at NL, but I was the other way around and maybe you are too.

Once you get good a limit, play 25NL and SnG's, and you should not have a $50 bankroll, that can effect you mentally in the way you think if you loose $25, which is less than normal.

Play low limit, $200 sounds good, move from there.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played play money before and won gigantic amounts of money quickly, only to get crushed at the tiniest levels of real money poker.

I think your suggestion is a good effort to helpful, but I don't think you can get around how totally unlike regular play the games are when you're only playing for play money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, and you're exactly right that the game changes, but if you CAN'T beat the play tables, you most likely don't have a prayer with real money either. Considering OP has gone broke MULTIPLE times, I'd want to make sure I'd at least come that far before I sunk any more of my money back into the game. (Learning a bit more about BR management probably wouldn't hurt either.)

And yes, I'm extremely risk averse and extremely conservative with money (poker and otherwise)--probably more than necessary...but I have also never gone broke.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the past 50 sit n go game i have played my roi is .06 but i also play other games like tourny buy ins. thats not too many hands but its enuf to make me go broke..

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you go broke with a positive ROI? If it's due to the other games, then stop playing the other games so you can focus on getting your SnG game in shape.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM

i second that, harringtons book is great

i must say though that his straregies are not suited for $5/1 SNG's. For example, blind stealing in small fields will fail when you get lunatics calling with anything. For this reason I play the $10/1 where there is usually a bit more intellignce.

My first bankroll at Partypoker was $50 and I lost it during a down swing. I took some advice here and reloaded at $200. Since then its been at a high of $300 and a low of $150 but never busted despite the dry spells and occasional tilt run.

On that topic, I recently discovered that the biggest leak in my game is winning. Whenever my roll is positive I get foolish. I step up to a $30 table, which Im certainly not ready for, and play like an idiot. Then if my roll is low I play a great game at a lower level and recover. I know this is a glaring defect and Im trying to work on it.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of why you're losing is the horrible rake at 5+1's.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought TOW7 said he played at UB in another thread... they have $5.50's.

With your BR why not play the $1.10's?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:12 PM

I guess I forgot where he played and what. For some reason I was thinking of the 5+1's.

I agree with the idea of playing the really tiny real-money SNG's I hear about, the ones you can play for a dollar or a quarter or something. You can play an awful lot of those without affecting your bankroll, yet they're still for money, so people won't play them like quite the idiot drunks they play like in the play money games.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:14 PM

Yeah, you definitely have to adapt. I have to adapt constantly in the 10's, as sometimes the games are incredibly passive and I can steal everyone blind, and sometimes I'm literally getting people calling off their whole stack with 7-2 offsuit and 5-2 offsuit.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:20 PM

hey guys thanks for all the help. i think i lost some money cuz i was on a bad weak and sinse i have been tracking my results for only the past month the past week has really took a hit to my small results. anyway im gonna post hands and get your advice. also i'll try to stop playing over my head which is what i was doing sometimes. e.x. i would win 4 or 5 sit n gos in top 3 then move up to a 20 thinking i could beat it.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been playing for 9 months now and have gone broke alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds a lot like me when i first started playing. i tried to play 15-30 on a 500 dollar bankroll, 2 tabling. yea, i ran my account up to lke 3k in a day, but i went broke a lot before that.

[ QUOTE ]
havent felt like winning since i started this down hill slump.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not a good sign. if you dont feel like winning, you generally dont have a lot of hope to actually win

my advice to you is to put like 300 bucks into yer account, and 2 table the 10+1s until you can adjust. play as often as you can, and really focus on what is happening. analyze your mistakes. post a few hand histories on 2+2. take part in conversations about other's hands, even if you might be wrong. talking about the game is one of the best ways to improve, and this board is great for that. holla
Old 05-06-2005, 06:31 PM

RE: 'two tabling', how do you keep notes on 20 at once?
im usually busy running through the hand history seeing how people are playing...busy enough with 1 table, how do people do it with multiples ?