Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Bonk Annie Duke 10 19.61%
Bonk J-Lo 13 25.49%
Bonk Briana Banks 15 29.41%
Hell, after my 27o bluff in the $5 SnG at PP, I am king of the world! I'll do all three! 13 25.49%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Strategy change for last 2 tables

I was involved in a free multi-table tournament, yesterday, and I wondered if perhaps there should be some strategy changes as we approached the final table. Here was the situation:

My table had 5 players left, and the other table had 6. The next player to be eliminated (you probably guessed, already, that was me) would promote everyone else to the final table. Now, there is not a significant difference in prize money between 10th ($10) and 11th ($9), but the prizes increase steadily from there on (9th $20, 8th $30, on up to about $250 for 1st). So, there is no reason to go to any extra effort to avoid getting knocked out in 11th if it means that you increase your chance of making it to 10th.

My thoughts were that perhaps the strategy for a 5-handed table that is soon to become a 10-handed table might be different from a 5-handed table that will become a 4-handed table.

This is the hand in question. The blinds are at $1k and $2k. I am on the button with about $12k. My stack was a bit under average, but most at my table were $20k and under. The hand gets folded around to me on the button and I have 99. Now, if this were the final table and 5 handed, I am sure that raising all in is the way to play that hand. The blinds are going to eat me up at a short-handed table. If I have a hand worth playing, I am going to play for all my chips. I expect to just win the blinds, but have a fair chance of doubling up if I get called.

The main difference, now, though is that if I make a smaller raise and lose (I would fold to a re-raise, expecting that to come from a bigger pair), I might survive to a 10-handed table and have more time to wait for a stronger hand. But, I have to survive to 9th to make the weaker play worthwhile.

What do the rest of you think?

If you have been patiently waiting for the actual result, the BB called with QQ and neither of us improved.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Strategy change for last 2 tables

How do you put a survey in your post? I couldn't see how to do it.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you put a survey in your post? I couldn't see how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a check box below where you type your post. It is only there if you are starting a new thread, not if you are replying.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:04 PM

I don't even think this is close. You have only 6xBB left so if you're playing, its got to be for all your chips. If you pick up the blinds, great-- you've significantly increased your stack (well, not significantly, but to 7.5xBB, which is definitely better). I'd consider doing this with any 2 cards, taking into account the tightness of the blinds, of course. The fact that you have a hand with a pretty good chance of standing up if you get called is pure gravy.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:04 PM

I believe in your situation I push all-in with any 2 cards.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Whether you're on the bubble for final table or in the middle of the tournament, it doesn't matter, you must push here. You're too short stacked to make small raises as you can possibly fold to reraise and you're not folding a hand this good. You got cold decked, it happens.