Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Calling All-In with 97s (2:1 odds)

Bay 101 Rebuy Tourney, 114 players, 30 remaining, money at 18.

Blinds have just gone up, 1000/2000. Average stack is about 10k at this table, with maybe 20k with table leader. I went card dead the last level and when I did have a hand, was only able to take the blinds, so that's why I'm down so low.

I'm the BB and have about 8500 behind after posting. Folded around to Button who pushes for 5k. SB folds.

Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . I have to call 3k for a shot at 8k pot - so about 2.5 to 1 odds. I know this sounds like an easy call but calling kinda cripples me. Go for it anyway?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] John
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Calling All-In with 97s (2:1 odds)

Button's range here is very large especially when he can push 5k to win ~ a 3k pot. I would push there with just about any two cards with two players to act behind me.

2:1 odds, call him down, your cards are probably live and you have a decent chance at taking him out, especially if hes pushing with something like A6 or a small pocket pair.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:36 PM

ugh, ya I'm calling, note that if you're stack is 15K-20K I'm folding this because I would like to conserve chips.. but at your stack level I gamble with those odds.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM

I think large button range actually hurt OPs position. Now he could end up in the situation where he is dominated by something like K9 or A7. But I think I still call. The midweek bay 101 tourneys are way too fast blind wise and way too many people nurse their extremly short stacks.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM

If your waiting for a hand to take down the blinds you might as well take the pot odds here. I would prefer to keep my FE and pummel the hell out of the people on my left, but it sounds like you should have done more of that on the previous level.

" I know this sounds like an easy call but calling kinda cripples me. Go for it anyway?"

This is what your opponents should be saying. Not you.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh, ya I'm calling, note that if you're stack is 15K-20K I'm folding this because I would like to conserve chips.. but at your stack level I gamble with those odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand that comment; this hand is a call regardless of Hero's stack size.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand that comment; this hand is a call regardless of Hero's stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm at a certain stack size, usually with a medium type stack, I fold these situations even with generous pot odds.. If I had 20K, I'm not looking to call off like 15% of my stack based on the pot odds given to me, I'm much more concerned with conserving those chips for a bigger move later on
Old 12-02-2005, 12:57 PM

Yah, I called. Buitton turned over QJo so I had live cards. Flop brought me a gutshot but turn and river bricked. Villain took it with Q high.

Funny thing, is I had to fold my SB and Button with rags when earlier players pushed. But when it was folded to me in CO, I pushed KTs (t4500). Folded to BB who correctly called with 3:1 odds. He turned over 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and flopped trip 4's. Turn brought my K but that was all.

The reason I even asked was I felt that that extra 3k would have given slightly more FE and I could have stolen back my blinds with the KT. meh. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for the responses, John
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm at a certain stack size, usually with a medium type stack, I fold these situations even with generous pot odds.. If I had 20K, I'm not looking to call off like 15% of my stack based on the pot odds given to me, I'm much more concerned with conserving those chips for a bigger move later on

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is a big leak.