Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-15-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Chip Leader, purposely keeping low stack in game.

This is a hypothetical. Let me know your thoughts on it.
Say there are 3 or 4 people left, and you are a big chip leader, 2X the guy in second. Top 3 get money.

You are currently in a hand with the smallest chip stack who has raised everything he has except 30 chips. You look down (or at your screen) and find AA.

What should you do?
Let's say you decide to call rather than raise, and I'll get to my reasoning in a sec.
To your surprise A - A - 7 comes down, and you have flopped the nuts.
What should you do now? You have 4000 chips, and he has 30 remaining.

I think you should check it down and let him keep his 30 chips.

This way, on the next hand, when it is the 2nd lowest stack's big blind, you can raise him and he will be threatened to lose all his money and not place in the money , or not place as high.

Is this a really simple strategy? Does everyone do this?
Is there a counter argument to this play?

-MG
Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Chip Leader, purposely keeping low stack in game.

I think it's a pretty standard strategy (the bigger the blinds are, the better). Leaving a guy with 30 chips is definitely worth it if you can pick up much more than 30 chips in the next orbit by stealing.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 PM

i posted a bubble hand history here. that showcases this type of play.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:04 PM

I don't know how often a situation this extreme will actually be possible. I'm pretty sure that he will get his last 30 in the pot somehow. I guess if he were willing to check it down, it would certainly be worth it to let him stick around, especially if he would not be in the blinds.

However, this is a very relevant strategy on the bubble that I have started to use if I'm chipleader. I will occasionally give a shortie a walk if it means I can keep stealing from the mid stacked players IF they are playing tight.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a pretty standard strategy (the bigger the blinds are, the better). Leaving a guy with 30 chips is definitely worth it if you can pick up much more than 30 chips in the next orbit by stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully dissagree.
Usually by te time you are keeping some on the bubble the blinds are getting high. And to allow him to stay in, you are giving him the blinds.
You are employing this strategy to steal blinds from the middle stacks. If you get caught stealing against a real hand the middle stack doubles up and you are in trouble.
AND if the shorty doubles up against the middle stack he becomes a player again.
Bubble time is crap shoot time to some extent.
I say get rid of the shorties.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:11 PM

Beeyjays link to the HH is AMAZING. CHeck it out for a perfect example of this...
Old 10-15-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully dissagree.
Usually by te time you are keeping some on the bubble the blinds are getting high. And to allow him to stay in, you are giving him the blinds.
You are employing this strategy to steal blinds from the middle stacks. If you get caught stealing against a real hand the middle stack doubles up and you are in trouble.
AND if the shorty doubles up against the middle stack he becomes a player again.
Bubble time is crap shoot time to some extent.
I say get rid of the shorties.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the situation the OP gave, you have the nuts, therefore are not giving him the blinds, but only letting him keep 30 chips. If you have 2x the next biggest stack, you can lose an all-in to them and still have as many chips or more as the person 3rd in chips. Also, the player with 30 left is not a reasonable threat at all as he will have to get lucky many times to have a shot. Your fold equity over the others is huge now. Works all the time.

To give my most extreme example, I once raised the shorty in the big blind all but one of his chips and to my amusement we checked it down and he lost. I pushed the next few hands where he doubled up to 2 and then tripled up to 6, etc, but he never got above 50 chips and by the time I took him out, I was in the money with 90% of the chips.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:38 PM

strassa made a post about this a while back. the theoritcal situation was he had AA on the blind, the small stack in the SB pushed in for 1 more chip on the bubble, and he folded. "standard"
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM

This really isn't a revolutionary idea.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This really isn't a revolutionary idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it is for people who are new to STTs.

OP, yes, do this.