Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Trying to look objectively at an AK decision

Late in a tourney, already into the money of a the Paradise 75k. About 45 ppl left. first place is a solid $19k.

I have 105k in chips. Villian has 197k. Blinds are 4k/8k, 400 Ante. 8 handed. My M is just under 7.

2 fold, villian raises 2x the blind. folded to me in BB with AKo. I hate minraises.

Decision time here is push at him and hope to scoop or double, or just call and see a flop.

If the stacks were deeper, I prefer a reraise here, but I have no wiggle room with my stack. any reraise needs to be an all in.

Who like a call here, who likes a push, and why?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

-Scott
Old 12-21-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Trying to look objectively at an AK decision

I think having you covered his calling range of your push is just too large, why get into a coinflip for no reason. A small raise from a big stack in MP1 seems like a trap, I call.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 PM

What's the average stack size?

Generally my default is pushing here. My stack isn't in great shape and I'm looking to win it. Which means I'm going to have to double up here pretty soon.

Push.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 PM

Missing key information - how often has Villain been raising? Has he folded to reraises? Have you been aggressive?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the stacks were deeper, I prefer a reraise here, but I have no wiggle room with my stack. any reraise needs to be an all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand this, stacks would need to be waaaaay deeper to allow you any wiggle room IMHO. Even If you have 200k and you reraise to 50k then you'd have to call 150k to win well over 400k and wouldn't be able to get away from it if he pushes. Unless you already have him dominated he's probably not doubling you up when you hit. You might as well get it in now while you're ahead/coinflip and can get paid off when you hit, rather than call and hope to hit and win a small pot.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think having you covered his calling range of your push is just too large, why get into a coinflip for no reason. A small raise from a big stack in MP1 seems like a trap, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's laying a trap you don't want to mess with with AK, you better fold.

But it's a lot more likely he's stealing, especially if he's been doing a lot of this. There's ~ 30K in the pot, even if you are 40-45% versus his call range, you don't need many folds to justify a push.

And if you call, you fold a flop you miss? This is a pretty standard push, although I'll listen if someone thinks otherwise.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Late in a tourney, already into the money of a the Paradise 75k. About 45 ppl left. first place is a solid $19k.

I have 105k in chips. Villian has 197k. Blinds are 4k/8k, 400 Ante. 8 handed. My M is just under 7.

2 fold, villian raises 2x the blind. folded to me in BB with AKo. I hate minraises.

Decision time here is push at him and hope to scoop or double, or just call and see a flop.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate min raises too. Well, what are your options? The minimum you could raise is to make it 32 to go, that's 30% of your stack, but you don't wanna do that. So what's the next option, 45k or 50k? That's half you stack. Might as well go ahead and go all in because there's no way you can fold after committing half your stack. You also get all 5 cards, and maybe he folds and you win a nice little pot.

I guess you could just call, but I don't like doing that with AK, especially here. I'd flat call with AA-JJ, but I really like to rep a hand w/ AK. Though his min raise does seem like a trap, oh well.

Push, and I dont even think its close.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate min raises too. Well, what are your options? The minimum you could raise is to make it 32 to go, that's 30% of your stack, but you don't wanna do that. So what's the next option, 45k or 50k? That's half you stack. Might as well go ahead and go all in because there's no way you can fold after committing half your stack. You also get all 5 cards, and maybe he folds and you win a nice little pot.

I guess you could just call, but I don't like doing that with AK, especially here. I'd flat call with AA-JJ, but I really like to rep a hand w/ AK. Though his min raise does seem like a trap, oh well.

Push, and I dont even think its close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

It's easy for us to be brave w/ your money, but my gut tells me he's not interested in a confrontation, vis a vis trap, as his stack is not so huge as to allow him to get into a unnecessary skirmish that would risk 1/2 of it.

IMO, the combination of your fold equity, need-to-make-something-happen, and hand strength make pushing the right play.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 PM

With no read, this is an insta-push for me.

Edit: In position, a call might be okay.