Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Set of 8\'s PP 10/20 against Uber-Lag

Stats on villain: 63/10/2.4

Given Laggishness, play more cautiously because of 4 to a straight on board? I was so confused by this hand. I'm just wondering how others play it.

Initially, the limp-reraise led me to believe AA/KK, that's why I just called third flop bet and popped the turn... Knowing now that villain's LRR range might very well include a 9, I don't know if I could play it this way again... or could I?

Who bets this river? The check-raise almost made me puke. I thought he played me like a fiddle.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has Tc Qh (one pair, tens).
Hero has 8s 8c (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.50 BB. </font>
Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Set of 8\'s PP 10/20 against Uber-Lag

given the play, the only hand you're really worried about is JJ, and I don't see an uber-lag limp-reraising with JJ PF. and you could easily put the lag on a huge variety of hands (the mostly likely of which are any 2pair or a 9)
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Do you think capping the turn was overboard? Was betting the river silly? I shouldn't have included the results... Everyone would be replying "He has a 9 you idiot!".
Old 06-23-2005, 02:03 AM

I didn't read the results and it's probably best if you don't include them.

I don't think villain has a 9. His raising standards don't appear to be too out of whack so I think preflop is good.

After that I play it the same way. I'm putting him on big cards but his river raise would convince me that I shouldn't three bet him with that scary board....although I'd be really tempted to given the way the hand played out and how aggressive he is. I mean, it appears he has something he likes on the flop....hmmm. If he'll push a gut shot draw real hard i might not 3 bet the river, otherwise I'd be seriously considering it. How often does he pay off on the river? i.e. does he make smart folds or does he tend to pay off? I probably raise if he's not crazy on 4 out draws.

-WT
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 AM

I've already peeked at the results....but I certainly wouldn't have put him on QT on the flop with the heavy action he gave. I would be thinking that he had a pair and a straight draw. Or 2 pair...all of these are definately in his playing range. His play was nothing less than stupid, if you ask me. I don't think he played you like a fiddle. He simply played his hand so unreasonably that you couldn't possibly have put him on his hand.

Here are all of the more reasonable possibilities (for the flop 3-bet):

JT
J9
T8

Also, TPTK hands like

AJ
KJ
QJ

Other (less likely combos are)

T9 (for the nuts; very unlikely b/c of the flop 3-bet)
J8 (you can't put it past him due to his VPIP; but unlikely due to your set)
J7s (another possible "loose" call; and a loose call by someone with his stats is "very loose."
A8
A7

I think these are all more likely than QT. If you noticed, only 4 of these combinations scare you to death. Once he 3-bets the turn though, I cap and hope the board pairs. You made more than I would have. Usually even a lag will check-call with this action with 2nd pair and a 4 str8 on the board. I mean, you've been betting like a champ. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]