Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Hand from the 125k

Down to 93 with 80th paying. Average stack is 20k. I have 17k after posting the big blind of 800. Ante is 100 so there is 2200 in the pot preflop. It's folded to the big stack on the button with 37k and he makes it 3600 total. SB who has 10k folds. I have 77 and push.

The person that disagrees with me says I'm sitting good with only 13 to go till the money. It looks like the big stack was trying to commit himself to call with the big raise.

I say that blinds are going up by 50% in about 5 minutes and I having a big stack on the bubble is worth a lot. The big stack was in a steal position and had enough chips to be pushing around. It's heads up so I don't have to worry about anyone else coming in. Getting a fold would increase my stack by a good 25%.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Hand from the 125k

I think it's kinda a boarderline decision. If you play good poker, you could make top 80 and get paid. So if making 80 is good for you, then fold. If you wanna go further and possibly not make 80 then going all in was probably correct. But It also has to do with how the player that raised has been playing before. If he was really conservative and you had not seen him raise in this spot before, I would let him take the pot. If he had been raising often, and trying to steal blinds, I may have gone all in. Also, how often had that person been calling all in bets?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 AM

No read on him, he got moved to this table a few hands ago.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:46 AM

well, then if you wanna just wanna get paid you should fold. If you would not be happy with yourself, go all in
Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 AM

I don't care about getting paid or having the best shot at first. I care about making the highest EV move. What do you think that move is?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about getting paid or having the best shot at first. I care about making the highest EV move. What do you think that move is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is a dilemma then isn't it?? You have to decide which of these is better for you because this will determine the most +EV play. Also, when you say EV are you talking chip EV or $EV? If you're talking $EV, you're generally going to be taking more risks b/c the good money is in 1-3 so you need to get chips to get there.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM

I move in. The big stack could be making this move w/ any 2.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:23 PM

I have to say that this problem becomes irrelevant if you playing for first is not your main concern. If it is, then yes you push here, or stop and go on a rag flop.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:23 PM

As an aside, what did you think of this hand on the bubble. The short moves in for 200. Hero has an above avg stack w/ both blinds covered. Hero raises 3x w/ QJ, both blinds fold. Hero picks up about 2g in blinds but loses the main pot keeping the bubble alive. Hero proceeds to get flamed in the room.

btw - I ended up going out around 62 when my KK ran into AA.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:30 PM

That's exactly how I would have played it. Ignore the flamers.