Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Low End of Straight

Situatin:
Live Poker
Blinds $2/$5, 10 players
Hero: On the button with $330 with 67s
Main Villian: BB with approx $140

This is the first time I have played with the villian, not much of a read, but he seems pretty solid.

Preflop action:

3 limpers in front, I limp also on button, SB and BB(Villian) call. 6 players to the flop - Pot $30.

Flop 8910 rainbow
Villian leads out $20, one caller in front. I call. Pot $90. Do you call, fold or raise here?
Turn K
Villian leads out for $80, folded to me. Villian is potcommitted with only $35 left behind. Do you push or fold?

Range of hands I put him on: QJ, J7, 67, 107, 98, 109,108,J10, 88, 99. Outside chance of A10, J9,J8, 1010 (I think he probably raises preflop with 1010. Probably give a little more weight to a made straight or set than the others.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Low End of Straight

push....
and it doesn't seem close
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 PM

is this a joke? it is pretty scary that he didnt bet his last $35, but who cares.... he is a supershortstack and you have a straight... shouldve raised the flop... jesus.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:41 PM

No it is not a joke, this guy had not made pot buying bets in my first hour of playing with him. There is a reasonable chance he has the nuts. I agree when considering the stack size the decision is easier. What if the scenario changes, and he has me covered, is it still easy? I guess I am really trying to evaluate the strength of hand like this in a limped pot.

By the way I did push.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 PM

The low end of a straight is not a hand you can slowplay. Even if a Q, J, 7, or 6 doesn't make a hand that BEATS you, it will likely kill any action you would have gotten from worse hands. Thus, you really need to raise this flop and take it from there. I'd say 100 to go is a good number to commit the BB but still not absurdly high if someone else comes along. If BB pushes, call, if he calls, push any turn, if he folds, rake it in!

The way you played it I still push the turn. Given the list of hands he could have (i.e. that he will still push here with two pair) then I think it's pretty much mandatory.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM

I think Nick has it right. The only thing I would add would be a 3-4 BB raise preflop, if for nothing else than advertising if you can get to a show down. Last time I played live I raised 75s in late position after 1 or 2 limpers. After showing that down, I got a lot more action on my pf raises with monsters.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Nick has it right. The only thing I would add would be a 3-4 BB raise preflop, if for nothing else than advertising if you can get to a show down. Last time I played live I raised 75s in late position after 1 or 2 limpers. After showing that down, I got a lot more action on my pf raises with monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, raise preflop, raise flop, push turn.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:03 PM

If I make it a hundred to go I mind as well push, the villian is really the only one I am concerned about, I believe I am either way ahead or close to drawing dead, that is why I only called. Most likely I am going to end up all in either way, by letting him lead I may be able to get his money in with a hand I am beating. If I push, he probably folds the two pair hands I mention in the range of hands I put him on.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the feedback. I pushed the turn. The villian calls, he turns over QJ. I am drawing dead. I guess I am probably being results oriented when I posted this. The real issue may be that I should have listened to my instincts here, I had one of those feelings when I pushed that I was behind.

You can definately make a case for reraising on the button with all the limpers, if I raise enough I am sure this guy folds preflop, and I either take it down there, or I beat anybody else who may have entered.

In hindsight the money was destined to go in the pot neither of us is going to fold.