Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: poker is a way of life vs. poker is just a hobby

which part surprises you?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:45 PM

this is the second greatest benefit of internet poker for pros - the first being more hands/hour. god if you're an internet pro go live somewhere fun and cheap and live relaxed.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM

I believe it was David Sklansky that said, "There are 2 kinds of people that will be pro poker players (that make money.) Those with a feakish skill set, or those that could make more money doing something else, but choose not to."

One of the other issues I have with 'going pro' is you don't build up any transferable job skills. Say you become pro and it turns out you make 100k a year at it, great. And in 5 years you want to do something else, well good luck finding a job that starts paying at that! People change winning lots of money at poker seems to be a win 'right now' not an over time win if it's money you depend on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of pros that dig what they do and it's fine. There are people that shovel [censored] at the race track, people that do math problems for a living, people that write articles, people that are trained killers, and they are all fine. I think what's important is to find a profession you like enough to do 40 hours a week that pays enough. Sure I'd like to be a kayak instructor, but I want more money. I like technology and solving puzzles, so I'm a computer guy and the money is fine. I could get a harder computer job that pays more, but I don't want to kill myself at my job.

Money is important, it makes things in life easier. But if money is all you have and no life, you have nothing to make easier.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:21 PM

If you want to quit poker later on and you can't find a job, become your own boss in anything eh?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:01 PM

Where do you live Kane ?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM

i think of money as a means to an end rather then an end in and of itself.

if you operate under this paradigm then it doesn't matter what profession you choose, so long as it allows you the freedom to do whatever it is that gives you satisfaction.

and while you may not find the satisfaction you desire from your choosen profession, so long as your profession affords you the time and money to pursue other activites outside of the workplace, you shouldn't have a problem.

it seems as if poker is the perfect profession because if you are good at it you will have an abundence of free time in which you can do whatever it is that gives you a sense of accomplishment or satisfaction.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I graduated with an English degree and vowed I would NEVER go back to school again. I hated it. If I want to learn something now, I go get a book. Since then, I've been bass player/front man for a successful cover band, sales and marketing rep for a multitude of large and small businesses in high tech, owned a design firm with a friend, sold credit card machines and now run a family Potpourri company in a small town in east Texas(www.shirleyspotpourri.com).

I can say without a doubt that poker is the ONLY thing besides music at which I've enjoyed earning a buck. Being in charge of a business is a challenge and fairly interesting and I have a great schedule, but in the end I have no love for it. So, I've got some great people who work for me now and have given them more responsibility. My wife has a knack for making money and when my youngest gets ready for school, well that will come into play also. So I guess we're going to piecemeal it. The potpourri company will provide some income, the wife will throw some in, and I'll make some playing poker. My wife is supportive and every morning I wake up excited to play the game and learn the game. I have no idea where it will lead but I'm really enjoying it right now. If I cease to enjoy it, I'll stop and do something else. But right now with the poker explosion, it's like getting in on a great opportunity on the ground floor.

[ QUOTE ]
this is the second greatest benefit of internet poker for pros - the first being more hands/hour. god if you're an internet pro go live somewhere fun and cheap and live relaxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings me the above quote. I live in the country and it's fairly cheap. I'm building a new house for $78/square foot on an acre of land. In the back of it closest to all the woods and furthest away from all the humans is my poker office. If I start to hate poker, then it will be some other kind of office.

Consider the opinions of those close to you by all means, but in the end make a descision that you're comfortable with. I mean it's just life. You can ALWAYS change directions.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:31 PM

creed,

I am at a similar crossroads in my life. Like many other youngish players, I began playing poker about a year ago online with my $50, and have earned enough to have realized that I have the potential to relinquish my studies and profit off the enormous poker boom by "going pro." It seems a very attractive and easy way to make a living.

I started playing poker halfway through my senior year of high school, and before the first day of college I was already nearly certain I was going to drop out that year and use poker as my source of income. (To be clear, I did NOT drop out "to play poker" -- there were many personal reasons for that and poker was just the means that allowed me to do so. And I do plan on going back to college in the future, so ignore this issue.) Anyway, I've been doing well enough and as a result I'm being pulled in both directions. I love my current poker lifestyle, yet I want to, as the phrase goes, do something with my life.

So as you said, the problem is whether a poker player capable of succeeding on a high level (thus GENERALLY rather intelligent, talented, ambitious, etc) chooses to play poker exclusively, or chooses to instead play some poker but concentrate on a career where the benefits, socially and personally, are more than just monetary. To this dilemma I don't think there is a right answer. I believe most people will feel a desire to apply their skills in another way eventually. However, I certainly would not fault someone who is perfectly happy multitabling a 3-6 game and pulling in 50-200k a year for life.

My personal situation/view is this: I love poker. I am fiercely competitive, fiercely independent, and am not bored by repetition. Thus, playing poker for long periods of time solely to win money is satisfying to me on many levels. I am only 18 and the freedom I have doing this is a blessing. I am young and taking a break from school to essentially live an adventure is, well, awesome. I just want to have fun, travel, do what I want, and enjoy life with the money I win for a few years. Eventually I think I'll head back into academics or start a business to begin living a more societally fulfilling life, but who knows. I want to enjoy life now, and poker is a great means for doing so.

I think I rambled a lot, might add more or clarify later....

P.S. I play in the same games as creed, and maybe our games are ridiculously soft or something, but I don't see 200k/yr as unattainable at all. I am highly confident he can beat it for more than that amount.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm just curious what site you guys play on that has/had 2/5.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:40 PM

pokerroom

2-5 was the top limit there for a looooong time, and many regulars were beating it for quite a bit I'm sure. It felt like one of the best midstakes games on the net. (I feel weird saying that since I have extremely limited experience on other sites to compare it with.) My biggest criteria is just a feeling I've gotten when other games have been described on this board, contrasted with the general play I saw at the 2-5.