Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: 100-200 Lifeline

IM'ing is way less threatening than pokertracker.

You could be the best poker player on the planet, but if you can't figure out how to run a pokertracker, good luck handling the other good players who have every bit of information they could possibly want on you. Is that still with the integrity of the game?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:02 PM

There are dudes sharing their hands and colluding and who knows what else online, and you want to get uppity because someone AIMs someone "dude, just how tight is this guy"?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Another question

If the response of the IM is "Big fish." Does that make c/r the flop or turn correct?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fully expect someone to ask questions about me. I don't care if its at lunch or during the hand. It really wouldn't even get me to flinch.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the IM'ing , etc, after reading what Steve G. wrote, it's obviously accepted by many on here so that's that. Guys do it, no one cares, so f*ck it. I obviously didn't realize good players accepted it. I thought it was only for the weasels. It's obviously not and doesn't change anything. I'm no crusader for lost causes. Now guys are asking me my thoughts on PT and mining. It's funny. Who gives a sh*t?

But tell me, why would you expect someone to ask about you? At lunch or at the table? I'm guessing you don't smell or dress funny, so what's the reason? I asked someone a while back who said he knew him if you were John Vorhaus and he said no. I'd guess he could expect to be recognized at the table. But JV from 2+2 who isn't smelling, yelling, looking funny or Vorhaus, who would give a f*ck? Seriously.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any moral issues with using IM with your buddies at the tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what? I'm not gonna defend myself, I'll just say that having moral issues with this is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you this. Would you have been comfortable asking if the button was any good over the chat window at the table? Or announcing to the table that you and so-and-so will be discussing strategy via an IM during the session?

IMO, it is immoral to discuss strategy with another player while you are involved in a hand no matter what the medium, even if its a simple question like is he any good. I may be a bit biased on this issue because I know of a few guys that I played a lot with that were using an IM during play, I'm pretty sure they were sharing reads on me and developing counter strategies together against me and I know they were colluding by sharing hole cards.

I would not feel comfortable playing with 2 guys using IM at the table especially at a tough high limit game. If I knew 5 or 6 of my opponents were using IM I would get the hell out of dodge before you could even say IM.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you this. Would you have been comfortable asking if the button was any good over the chat window at the table? Or announcing to the table that you and so-and-so will be discussing strategy via an IM during the session?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's an accepted strategy, the answer to this should be yes.

I nearly vomited when I read this thread.

Do your [censored] research prior to going to the table. Not during.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:31 AM

IMO, it is defintely a moral issue.

I am sure there are guys who ask seemingly innocent questions like you did while others find out what their buddy folded on a key hand before deciding on a course of action while still others collude every chance they get.

There seems to be a fine line there as to what is cheating and what is not. What you did is clearly not cheating but the whole chatting with another player on MSN or whatever smells bad.

I simply would never do it.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:39 AM

As well as an 8, 6 or 10 falling
Old 12-24-2005, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But tell me, why would you expect someone to ask about you? At lunch or at the table? I'm guessing you don't smell or dress funny, so what's the reason? I asked someone a while back who said he knew him if you were John Vorhaus and he said no. I'd guess he could expect to be recognized at the table. But JV from 2+2 who isn't smelling, yelling, looking funny or Vorhaus, who would give a f*ck? Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have a disconnect somewhere. I was talking about online play but if it were live play it would be the same.

If I played regularly in a high limit game, I would ask other friends in the game what they thought about certain players. I know if I played everyday people would be trying to get a line on me. And not just because I'm the best dressed guy in the room.

I am not John Vorhaus, so unfortunately I'm not every poker player's idol. 12 year old girls don't have posters of me on their bedroom wall and I don't play Killer Poker.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there are guys who ask seemingly innocent questions like you did while others find out what their buddy folded on a key hand before deciding on a course of action while still others collude every chance they get.

[/ QUOTE ]

An awfully slippery slope, no? I wrote out a long defense of my position, but I honestly feel that my position is so clear that defending it is unnecessary. For those that play online poker as their primary hobby and I know over a 100 probably, everyone talks to other poker players while they play (not in the same game, unless to trash talk.) Talking about hands they've played, other players tendencies, bad beat stories, current tourney stack size, girls they are trying to get with etc.

I want to be clear that the player I IMed was not playing.

If you assumed we were in the same game, then I can sort've see the slippery slope, otherwise not at all.