Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Calldown in Huge Pot

BB is 59/1.5/41/.5 (VP$IP/PFR/WSD/AF) over 60 hands. On one occassion each, I've seen the CO donkbet with crap and overplay AA.

How standard is this without a more solid read on the CO?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Scott
Old 12-11-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Calldown in Huge Pot

I thought you played the hand well. Smooth calling the flop with the intention of raising the turn looks like a good idea since it is obvious the BB will bet the turn no matter what card hits. On the turn, I think you must call the CO's 3 bet since if he has some kind of weird 2 pair you have up 8 outs to beat him. On the river, I think you should make a crying call here in this big pot. For all you know the CO may be thinking that you were raising the turn with not much of a hand becuz the maniac BB bet. Plus youve seen the CO overplay hands in the past. So calling the river looks right. Overall, I thought you played the hand well on every street.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you played the hand well. Smooth calling the flop with the intention of raising the turn looks like a good idea since it is obvious the BB will bet the turn no matter what card hits. On the turn, I think you must call the CO's 3 bet since if he has some kind of weird 2 pair you have up 8 outs to beat him. On the river, I think you should make a crying call here in this big pot. For all you know the CO may be thinking that you were raising the turn with not much of a hand becuz the maniac BB bet. Plus youve seen the CO overplay hands in the past. So calling the river looks right. Overall, I thought you played the hand well on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, given how unthreatening the board is I don't care much for waiting till the turn here at all. I also don't see how it's 'obvious' he's leading the turn when the flop came 8-high and 2-toned.
As for the river, I think Guy on Tilt posted a remarkably similar hand where he folded this river, but I probably look him up because it is just too damn hard for me to put CO on a hand - probably some random 2-pair since he posted.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:03 AM

id go ahead and raise the flop, dont really see a reason to wait till the turn here, the way you played it i call down
Old 12-11-2005, 05:09 AM

I wouldn't fold, rasising on the river is awful, calling is just right. I'd probably just raise the flop though. Make people who want to keep you from having position call two cold, get more money in a pot you expect to win, get 3bet by worse hands, etc. Too many good things can happen if you raise the flop.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 AM

I'm also raising the flop; if someone's gonna catch an ace on me, I want it to cost them.

And I cap the turn, but I'm usually a little too aggressive with overpairs. If CO raises my river follow-through, then I'm flat calling. Of course this line changes if I raise the flop and CO 3-bets; then I cap the flop &amp; bet/call the turn.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, given how unthreatening the board is I don't care much for waiting till the turn here at all. I also don't see how it's 'obvious' he's leading the turn when the flop came 8-high and 2-toned.
As for the river, I think Guy on Tilt posted a remarkably similar hand where he folded this river, but I probably look him up because it is just too damn hard for me to put CO on a hand - probably some random 2-pair since he posted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I misread the villains aggression stats, I thought he was a maniac for some reason, it turns out hes not that aggressive postflop at all, which means he is not guaranteed to bet the turn at all, so raising the flop is better than waiting to raise the turn since the villain may not bet the turn.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 AM

Raising the flop is the right play, I thought the BB was a maniac for some reason, misread his stats. Waiting til the turn is wrong since there is no guarantee that the villain will fire again.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop is the right play, I thought the BB was a maniac for some reason, misread his stats. Waiting til the turn is wrong since there is no guarantee that the villain will fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB being a manaic is a good reason to raise/cap the flop, not to wait. FWIW, I'm raising the flop for value here, not protection.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB being a manaic is a good reason to raise/cap the flop, not to wait. FWIW, I'm raising the flop for value here, not protection.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you on this one, If I knew for sure that the BB was going to bet any turn card I would rather wait til the turn to raise. If no draw makes it on the turn, I like the idea of charging them 2BBs to river me with just one card to come. I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong, Just letting you know how I would approach the hand.