Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Jumprope Exercising?

In the interest of promoting fast-twitch muscle flibers in my lower body, I have decided to start doing 4 days of High Intensity Jump Rope training in the morning, and then a jog those four nights.

On the other two nights I would do low intensity longer workouts on the rope and then jog that night.

Soon this will be taken over by the start of my martial arts training but I need a stopgap measure to retain some semblance of basketball shape.

Any of you guys use the jumprope? What would be some good High and low intensity techniques/rhythms that I should use?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Jumprope Exercising?

is there seriously more then one way to do this?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is there seriously more then one way to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

um, thats exactly what I thought, but apparently yes, different jumping types will hit different muscle areas.

I have kinda formulated something myself, but Im wondering if anyone else on here does this and can lend some advice.

btw, Im sure most of you know how tall I am and I've been to a couple stores to find looooong jumpropes, but there's no personal ones in my size... anywhere else I can go?

edit: dear god I almost got myself a first splat.. no pic!

NSFW

http://www.avaxhome.ru/media/images/Alyssa%20021.jpg
Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Yes.

Jumprope exercising is a great workout. We used to have to do this for volleyball three times a week, along with jump traiing. We also did it for baseball.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM

I used to jumprope a lot. I never did much fancy. I mostly just jumped 3 minutes at about 150-200 rpm with intermittent bursts of speed and rested 30 seconds. I'd do this several times.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 PM

I jump rope but nothing fancy, 4 minute sets a few times before running or swimming. what kinds of training stuff were you looking at?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:12 PM

Skipping is a great work out. Especially for your heart. Skipping does not work your fast twitch muscles, and neither does jogging.

If you want to build up the fast twitch muscles in your calfs, doing things like sprinting, or calf raises is a good idea.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

If you want a very intense workout in a short amount of time do Tabata intervals.

Basically, jump rope as fast as you can for 20 seconds, then rest for ten seconds. Repeat this 7 more times for a total of the hardest 4 minutes of your life.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the interest of promoting fast-twitch muscle flibers in my lower body, I have decided to start doing 4 days of High Intensity Jump Rope training in the morning, and then a jog those four nights.

[/ QUOTE ]
I started jumping rope a few months ago. I can't do it in the morning; I'm too uncoordinated when I first wake up. And my rope is just a tad short, so I really need to be on top of things to have any chance of doing my workout.

But yeah I don't really do anything regimented. I pretty much just do 20 minutes of whatever. The other suggestions here were helpful, thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Look for some of the expensive leather ones. Some are adjustable, some are just really long. Alternatively, spend 2 or 3 bucks at the hardware store for a piece of rope you can cut to your size.

Jumping rope will keep you in fantastic aerobic shape and is perfect for martial arts. It can help your coordination and keep you light on your feet.

When doing rope jumping, I vary the intensity without changing the speed of the rope, either by doing it one-legged or by adjusting my breathing. Do your breathing as hard as you can, like you were doing a wind sprint, and you will make the jumping much harder. Do the breathing in a series of small breaths in and out as fast as you can, and you will also make the jumping far harder aerobically. The latter was a big favorite of mine. You can make it a pretty hard exercise that way.

I've been a big fan of combining jumping like that with punching and kicking drills and/or with different kinds of push-ups. If you're in good enough shape to keep it up at maximum intensity, you can get a hellacious work-out in 20 minutes.