Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Eating Raw Beef

Any special way you have to prepare it? What cut of beef and seasoning if any?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Eating Raw Beef

Ask rustedcorpse.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:57 PM

You want a fresh lean steak cut; something tender that doesn't need cooking to be enjoyable. You don't want ground beef or anything like that because it has more surface exposed to air and you risk food poisoning by eating it. It's probably unlikely, but why would you want to eat raw ground beef anyway?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Isn't this stuff called "steak tartare" or somethin like that?

Google says that you actually DO want it ground, and you want to prepare it a certain way. And apparently there's raw eggs involved. I like to think I'm cultured, but I don't know if I'm this damn cultured.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:07 PM

You are talking about different 'ground' beef.

That link is talking about a steak cut that is freshly ground up, not just normal ground beef like the other guy was talking about.

Thanks for the link though. I've never had steak tartare I've only had raw beef at japanese restaurants and it doesn't seem like it had as much seasoning as the recipe you provided.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are talking about different 'ground' beef.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah, I certainly hope you're not gonna go buy a half pound of ground chuck from Albertsons or somethin, and expect to make steak tartare out of it.

That's like buying that tuna that's been sitting on ice for 3 days and trying to make edible sushi. I wouldn't eat it.

Yeah, after reading about steak tartare, I'm kinda half tempted to try it. Raw beef at japanese restaurants? Like, alongside your sushi? How do they serve it? I'm intrigued.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Well finally found the name of the japanese dish I have had.

Beef Tataki

Aparently this recipe is grilled slightly, mine might have been but seemed pretty raw for the most part.
Still, other people's experiences or recipes would be nice still.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 AM

I love raw meat, and I'll try it nearly anywhere that has it on the menu. My experiences so far:

Kobe Steak Tartare at Craftsteak in Vegas: It was fabulous. I think it is best compared to some sort of meat flavoured butter. Its texture was divine, and the flavour was incomparable. I really haven't had anything like it - raw beef in this context really is nothing like the cooked stuff.

Beef Tataki: I've had this at various Japanese restaurants. Usually it is served blue rare, sometimes raw. To be honest I prefer it blue rare - it gives it a more pleasant texture (in this particular dish). It may be the nature of the ponzu sauce that makes me prefer it barely cooked.

Mystery Ethiopian Dish: Not really a mystery, but I don't know the name. It's cubes of raw beef in a thin, powedery red sauce. Almost like a curry, I'm not sure what to compare it to. The rawness of the meat was integral to the dish, allowing the flavour of the spices to play a greater role. If you have Ethiopian food and see a dish resembling this description I highly recommend it.

Beef Carpaccio at a vineyard in Napa Valley: Yet another glowing review. I forget the vineyard (I visited plenty, and drank at most of them), but this appetizer before the wedding dinner was excellent. It was served on a crostini with a rich mayonnaise type sauce, and it was impeccably matched with the red wine they were serving. This is the raw beef dish I'd consider most likely to appeal to people who are squeamish about eating raw meat, the thin slicing again makes the beef almost melt in your mouth.

No other dishes come to my mind that involve serving raw beef, though I'm sure there are plenty. I'd be keen to try other ones, and I recommend it to anyone. I don't understand the desire many people have for well cooked foods. I find the flavours are finer in raw or lightly cooked dishes in most cases, though of course it depends on the food in question. It's certainly not a health risk if you eat the right cuts; any decent restaurant that offers it will be safe, as will any good butcher shop.

I see that you live in Calgary, just go to one of the many fine steakhouses your city boasts and try a blue rare steak or a tartare. I know that Catch has some tartares on the menu, but they might only have seafood (I know they have scallop and tuna, both amazing). I've eaten at the Blue Nile in Calgary, but they don't have the Ehtiopian dish I described, so try Marathon (in Kensington) or somewhere else if you're interested.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 PM

I really enjoy raw fish and I'm interested in raw meat. Have you ever gotten sick from eating raw meat before?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:58 PM

I've seen a guy pull a chunk of meat straight off a deer with his fingers and eat it while the deer was still warm. To my knowledge, he has not been physically ill... mentally, maybe, but not physically.