Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand - Early Position Push/No Push

" Kill me now. Like youve never had a situation where you just happen to have only 3.5x the BB. Nope, obviously I must have made mistakes earlier. I hate this argument when its used with low stakes player, please God don't use it on my games."

Obviously it happens. That's why I said "I can't be certain". You could have just lost a hand. You might have had a really bad hand every time it was folded to you. It might never have been folded to you. More likely, though, you passed on a slightly -EV push earlier in the round. At least that is often the case when I look back at tournies where I get into this spot. I think its better to take the slightly -EV push earlier in the round to keep yourself out of this horrible position where you're about to post your last bit of real FE in the BB. I think you disagree with me on this entire theory (that sometimes its right to pass up SMALL +EV situations and sometimes take small -EV situations , because the EV measurements occur in somewhat of a vacuum), and your numbers certainly force anyone to give credence and consideration to anything you have to say on the subject. So maybe part of the reason I'm challenging you on this is so that I can hear more of it.

I steadfastly disagree (for now) on the idea that the best way to play is to put every push/fold and call/fold situation into an ICM vacuum and always make the right play in that vacuum. I think it is sometimes right to pass up small +EV calls in order to ensure yourself the ability to make +EV raises down the road. I think it is sometimes right to make slightly -EV raises in order to ensure that your FE doesn't get blinded off so that you can make +EV raises down the road.

But I want badly to listen to more details of why you disagree.

moses