Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Learning Short Handed-Overcall on river?

Well, I'm trying to learn short-handed after playing full SS forever, basically because the games are better. Anyway, MP just sat down so I have no read. I've played probably 30 hands with button and BB so far this session and both have proven to be loose passive calling stations.

I have two questions on this hand:
1) Semi-bluffing the flop, should I do it here? Against 3 players, I feel a bet will get called here by at least one person so I have no real chance of taking it down right away. Then, if my bet only gets called by 1 or 2 people it isn't really for value. That's why I checked. Is this thinking right?

2) Obviously the river. Overcall in this 11.5 BB pot?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, Hero....

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 12-20-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Learning Short Handed-Overcall on river?

You're on the flush draw, after the flop you have 9 more outs to the flush. With the aggression shown by the MP, I would put him on Q8, Q9, QT, maybe he would call with QJ. I thought maybe the Button could have had this range of cards, but I am thinking he is going with Ax or Kx maybe even Qx, who knows given his call preflop.

I would call to the river. Catching the K on the river, I would call down and see what happens.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:08 AM

Bet the flop because of your pot equity. You only need two callers to make it profitable. I might even cap after the 3-bet, just because it's fun. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As far as the river goes... MP is definitely telling us he has something on the flop, but it could easily be TP. I think we have to call versus an unknown. I expect to win the ~8% of the time that I need to.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 AM

Could you PM me the results of the hand? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 AM

1) if you get called by 2-3 you are getting decent value. If you get called by one there is an ok chance you'll take it down on the turn. go ahead and bet the flop.

2) i'd feel a lot better if that flush had hit but I think they just have Qx or worse enough in a pot this big to call the river. button especially looks like a Q or worse
Old 12-20-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Results

I thought the river was an easy call but it is always good to make sure. Anyway, MP had 22 and Button had QJ and MHING.