Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Default very noob question (overcards)

Sup all, its been a while since i played full ring, and since holdem games are getting more aggressive i need advice for standard play.

Playing 1/2 with no reads other than everyone is aggressive
I raise it up utg with AQ and everyone folds to the big blind who calls. Flop comes jack high and he leads into me.

Now, in such a small pot should I take one off or is the standard play to just fold here. Does a backdoor flush draw make any difference? I know its a noob question but thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: very noob question (overcards)

There are so may small details that go into playing overcards well, including the type of player, free card possibilities, back-door draws and reads. You'd really be better off posting specific hands.

In this situation, without a backdoor draw I'd nearly always fold.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: very noob question (overcards)

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 1/2 with no reads other than everyone is aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either playing on a bad site or you need to work on defining "aggressive". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I raise it up utg with AQ and everyone folds to the big blind who calls. Flop comes jack high and he leads into me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a bunch of options here, really. You can fold immediately, which seems weak but is hands down the correct play if he's holding either AJ, QJ, or flopped a set (wrong play otherwise). You can raise, deciding after the turn card to either check through and take a free card or fire again if he just calls your raise and checks the turn. Or you can flat call, in which case you're pretty much committing yourself to folding the turn UI (unless you decide to make a play at the pot and raise the turn UI, which I wouldn't recommend against an unknown 1/2 player).

It seems like ages (but has really only been about 6 months) since I played 1/2, so I dunno...maybe it has gotten more aggressive, to the point where he could be leading with an UI underpair or just bluffing in the hopes you missed the flop, but that didn't used to happen on 1/2 full; the players were generally pretty passive and straightforward postflop. Meaning that, back then, I would normally call and fold the turn UI, sometimes raise with the intention of taking a free card.