Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Default 1/2 PS LO8 hand - is this hand played properly?

This game has been very loose and seeing lots of flops, nice sized pots, strange plays, etc.

PokerStars 1/2 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

The only reason I called with this hand (I know its easy to be trapped with it) was my reads on the table, and I liked my position. For me, its easy to get away from if I don't hit it well.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.50 BB

Should I still have mucked 6-5-4-3 in the cutoff? Should I have just called the turn when I made the full house, or is my raise ok since I could now pick up the entire pot w/ an A on the river?

Results will be posted later.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: 1/2 PS LO8 hand - is this hand played properly?

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I called with this hand (I know its easy to be trapped with it) was my reads on the table, and I liked my position. For me, its easy to get away from if I don't hit it well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even given all that, I still fold PF.

I probably cap the river, and try to get an extra bet out of
MP3. The only hands that beat you for high are 6Txx and TTxx, neither of which are likely.

Apart from the PF call, it seems ok.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 PM

agree with previous posters, an absolute fold preflop, without any exception to certain conditions whatsoever
Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM

fold preflop, its not close at all. look what happened. you flopped a crappy straight on a made-low board and met a turn card you didn't like, but showed down hoping to take 1/2 of a 3-way pot, maybe. not good.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you flopped a crappy straight on a made-low board and met a turn card you didn't like, but showed down hoping to take 1/2 of a 3-way pot, maybe. not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the turn card improved my hand to a full house, which increased my liking of the hand, and giving me a freeroll at the nut low.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 PM

Raise the flop to put pressure on a non-nut diamond draw or an A-5 low.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:40 AM

This might sound crazy (ok it will) but does anyone fold this to the 3-bet and cap Hero has to call on the turn? There's no realistic good card that came come besides a 3. It is almost certain one of your opponents has a 6, and a 2 or 4 could easily make someone quads. Any card higher than a 6 can give one of your opponents an overfull or a higher 6s full. Plus someone is in there with the nut low, so you need to catch an ace to get any piece of that as well. See the crap you got into playing this preflop? Complete it in the SB, call a single raise with it from the BB, steal with it in LP in a tight game, muck every other time.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:35 AM

It'd be easy to think this, but given the situation I was the victim of an absolute donkstrike. It was not uncommon for players to be raising/three-betting their lows in this game. I was the only player w/ a six in the hand, and the only way I could've lost the entire pot was for one of two tens to hit on the river. The BB was literally giving his money to me and the other player w/ the nut low by threebetting the turn, but was rescued by the river. I can not see laying this hand down on the turn - no matter what hand someone else may have w/ a six in his hand, he is a dog to make a better full house no matter how you slice it. Assuming his side cards do not include a 4 or 5, he has 9 outs to a better boat, and 2 to 5 if he has an overpair and an overcard w/ his six. I'd never fold in that spot - raising and calling the cap is absolutely +EV.

If I could've seen him having TT in his hand, i'd have called the river obviously [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Preflop:

Fold. This is an awful hand, in every position. The only time I'll play this hand is if its 3 handed, and then Ill raise with it.

Flop:

If you are going to call preflop, you have to raise here. You have a lot of equity, and this is a great spot to make the other playrs call two bets cold (incorrectly) with their draws. This is a dream flop, if you arent going to raise here, I take it you would never raise a flop with 3456?

Turn:

Standard.

River:

I raise his bet 80% of the time and flat call the other 20%. BTW, you have to call the 3-bet, anyone who doesnt is a moron. There is too much in the pot to consider folding.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 AM

Not much to be said here. You know you made a questionable preflop call, got trapped, then got sniped. Your play was fine on every street, just got an awful river. But as we all know that's omaha.

JMO - Knoll