Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 AM

Default ($215 custer) raising KQ utg seems to get you into a lot of trouble...

I've seen you make this move so many times it almost hurts... Why raise KQ utg? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Are you trying to steal the blinds here by banking on the fact that they think you will only raise premium hands here? You're getting 1:2 to call his push, but it just seems like this is a sticky situation that could have easily been avoided by just insta-folding preflop. You were in good shape with 15BB and IMO you totally blew it.

For the sake of completeness, blinds weren't going up for another 6 or so hands.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $200 Buy-in + $15 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 4 - 7 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 945 Chips
SB: 810 Chips
BB: 915 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 1465 Chips</font>
UTG+1: 1475 Chips
MP1: 3415 Chips
CO: 975 Chips

Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Blinds are 50/100

PreFlop
<font color="red">Hero RAISES ($300)</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, CO is All-In, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(2 players) FLOP: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 2100 Chips )

(2 players) TURN: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 2100 Chips )

(2 players) RIVER: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 2100 Chips )

Final Pot:2100 Chips
Old 12-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: ($215 custer) raising KQ utg seems to get you into a lot of trouble...

Dump it pf. Too many stacks to push over you. Your hands isn't great with that many opponents.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: ($215 custer) raising KQ utg seems to get you into a lot of troubl

It seems silly in an overall poker sense to not open with KQ n a 7 handed game. That's why I do it. But I now think it's a leak. My stats in teh 50-150 blind levels are not so good, and when you emailed me this hand or a hand like it I decided my somewhat light opening standards at these levels against the current competition was a big part of the problem. So I'm trying to tighten up in this spot. Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've gained a lot from this project so far.

moses
Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: ($215 custer) raising KQ utg seems to get you into a lot of troubl

I always fold this PF.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: ($215 custer) raising KQ utg seems to get you into a lot of trouble...

all things being the same, is there any hand that is ok to raise UTG (300) and fold to the CO's push (975)?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all things being the same, is there any hand that is ok to raise UTG (300) and fold to the CO's push (975)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!