Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: if Evolutionary Psychology makes you cynical of people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you like to reference some scientific sources that could explain traits like love at the person level. here's the relevent bit;

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the modern synthesis, "evolution" is defined as a change in the frequency of alleles within a population from one generation to the next.
An allele is any one of a number of viable DNA codings of the same gene (sometimes the term refers to a non-gene sequence) occupying a given locus (position) on a chromosome. Two alleles together comprise a gene.

[/ QUOTE ]
Must......not....post....ORLY.....Bird!

[/ QUOTE ]
missed this one as well. I dont understand, if its funny can you explain, alternatively if its offensive then can you explain.

Thanks

chez
Old 11-21-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

people evolved to have 'altruism' because in general we'll get something in return. it is not perfect though, it doesn't work everytime. some of the time we'll give something and not get something back because we are not computers that strictly analyze everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big misconception about altruism. The key point is that atruism is present in the human animal because it favours propagation of the relevent genes, not necessarily the individual humans. Humans are more altruistic to people who share more genes with them because this helps the genes propagate. Altruism is not done with the purpose of aiding the person being altruitic directly, ie it hasn't evovled as a I help you so you will help me reasons.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's really funny about this thread is how not a single person has addressed Bruiser's most excellent point:

[ QUOTE ]
take emotions for what they are, at face value, if you feel love for someone just leave it at that, it is just love because you are a human and humans love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point Bruiser. Just out of interest, does anyone understand what he's actually saying? It's really quite profound.

OK, carry on folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you phil, when i ran across this idea it really struck me as profound too. do you guys understand what i'm trying to say? it seems like you guys are debating over whether love is actually derived from evolution and provides advantages in passing down genes. for anyone that knows about this subject, it obviously does.

to repeat, what i'm saying is that people just MIMIC a strategy focussed soley on passing down genes (where no one cares about other people, they just care about passing on their genes), BUT it does this through THE MEDIUM OF EMOTIONS. when you feel altruism, it really is altruism people can and do feel altruistic and compassionate along with humanities other good traits.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM

"Big misconception about altruism. The key point is that atruism is present in the human animal because it favours propagation of the relevent genes, not necessarily the individual humans. Humans are more altruistic to people who share more genes with them because this helps the genes propagate. Altruism is not done with the purpose of aiding the person being altruitic directly, ie it hasn't evovled as a I help you so you will help me reasons."

trantor, interesting point, it is besides the point of this thread but could you explain this? it seems like both theories (altruism is for reciprocity, and your idea) both make sense and maybe they both work? any evidence that supports one over the other?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:06 PM

"You do realize this is the Science, Math, and Philosophy board. "

this forum is the most retarded forum on 2+2, a bunch of ignoramuses and pedants.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You do realize this is the Science, Math, and Philosophy board. "

this forum is the most retarded forum on 2+2, a bunch of ignoramuses and pedants.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you mean pedents.

chez
Old 11-21-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to repeat, what i'm saying is that people just MIMIC a strategy focussed soley on passing down genes (where no one cares about other people, they just care about passing on their genes), BUT it does this through THE MEDIUM OF EMOTIONS. when you feel altruism, it really is altruism people can and do feel altruistic and compassionate along with humanities other good traits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I (think I) understand your point of the Medium, I do not understand when you ignore how this thing called emotions became part of the human species and you just “leave it that“. Your fiat to leave it at that is indeed saying that emotions have only to do with evolution. Is there proof to this? Or are you saying when you say “leave it at that” that we don’t know, but it has to be simply a medium.

I could have missed the whole point. If so then disregard.

RJT
Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Big misconception about altruism. The key point is that atruism is present in the human animal because it favours propagation of the relevent genes, not necessarily the individual humans. Humans are more altruistic to people who share more genes with them because this helps the genes propagate. Altruism is not done with the purpose of aiding the person being altruitic directly, ie it hasn't evovled as a I help you so you will help me reasons."

trantor, interesting point, it is besides the point of this thread but could you explain this? it seems like both theories (altruism is for reciprocity, and your idea) both make sense and maybe they both work? any evidence that supports one over the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are many studies showing the degree og altruism is related to the degree of kinship. I'm not aware of any that show any altruism for only personal gain. On the other hand I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive but only the firstmakes sense to me on evolutinaty grounds.
And I believe my post was to the point in trying to show thw altruism he talked about is not altruism as generally understood.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's really funny about this thread is how not a single person has addressed Bruiser's most excellent point:

[ QUOTE ]
take emotions for what they are, at face value, if you feel love for someone just leave it at that, it is just love because you are a human and humans love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point Bruiser. Just out of interest, does anyone understand what he's actually saying? It's really quite profound.

OK, carry on folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do. that is what altruism is. It seemed a bit of a tautology in that altruism makes you feel good...that's how it works! abit like saying sex is good foe continuing the species and somebody says sex feels good so let's enjoy it...yep sex i feels good because it helps perpetutae the genes...do we all have to say, yep you are right and profound sex does feel good?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Bruiser, when you write "take emotions for what they are, at face value, if you feel love for someone just leave it at that", you imply that there's a possible way of not taking emotions for what they are. What is this way? or with regard to love, what could it to be to NOT "leave it at that"?

About this forum being a a bunch of ignoramuses and pedants, some posters here are, some are not. I don't think this forum is comparable to any other 2+2 forum, it's quite a bizarre place, retarded at times, non-retarded at others. There are smart people here, who sometimes get involved in stupid debates. That's about it.