Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: mononucleosis

[ QUOTE ]
You should do some reading up on mono. I had it in high school and it sucked ass. However IIRC, there is some debate about how contagious it is, and how it is transmitted. There seems to be some correlation to people developing it after a long period of not getting enough sleep and working themselves too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely consistent with a fairly large sample of anecdotal evidence i saw during high school.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My throat hurt so [censored] bad they had to prescribe me codene and vicodin just so I could take down fluids.

It was probably the worst week of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was put on prednisone, an adrenocortical steroid. I also waited about a week after feeling sick before seeing a doctor. First one I saw put me on antibiotics in case of strep. A day later I felt more exhausted than I've ever felt and the test came back negative. This was over 4th of July weekend so I drove back home. That night my dad had to drive me to the doctor because I couldn't swallow fluids at all and pretty much wanted to die. About two days later I felt fine. Thank you, steroids!
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 PM

I had it in junior high school, 8th grade, and it virtually wiped out the year for me. I had a rare variant that was much worse than usual mono, and was home for six months from school, most of which quite honestly was spent asleep except for a few hours at a time. I was skinny as hell to start and eventually got absurdly skinny. Finally the doc sent me back to school just because it seemed I wasn't recovering, so he didn't really know what to do. I slept through the couple months of school I attended almost entirely, slept on the bus there, and on the bus on the way home. The bus dropped me off three blocks from my house and I had to stop to rest multiple times on the way back. When I got home, I had just enough energy to take off my shirt and shoes, but not my pants, and just fell flat on my face after onto my bad and instantly feel asleep for hours.

My lymph glands in my neck at first swelled up so bad that the nurse and everyone in school, on the first day of school that year, looked at me with amazement and concern. By that evening I was having a biopsy done, and soon after they told my parents I had cancer and 30 days to live. Turns out they were wrong.

But anyway, it sucked pretty damn bad. Basically took a year of life away from me, turning me into an exhausted zombie for that whole time.

Would have been nice to have been a carrier instead! I guess somebody must have been, because I never heard of anyone in my school or neighborhood, or anywhere else, ever having mono besides me.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:18 AM

I was down for a week. Swallowing felt like a steel door being slammed.

On the bright side, I slept for a week, and lost 40 pounds in bed.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My gf got mono when i was in high school. I never got any symptoms. At a doctor's appointment a year later (I think to get a shot I needed for college, not cause i was sick) they did some blood tests and I found out I "had" mono and was now immune. I never felt sick for a single day.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to where people are
Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

My throat hurt so [censored] bad they had to prescribe me codene and vicodin just so I could take down fluids.

It was probably the worst week of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, probably the most pain Ive ever had was a mono sore throat
Old 11-28-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My gf got mono when i was in high school. I never got any symptoms. At a doctor's appointment a year later (I think to get a shot I needed for college, not cause i was sick) they did some blood tests and I found out I "had" mono and was now immune. I never felt sick for a single day.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to where people are

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 PM

I like the quick reply...its about time....

well I hope I'm not a carrier. I'm probably going to go get the test the minute I start to feel bad. Anyone think its a bad idea to continue "swapping fluids" w/ the gf while she's sick and I'm fine? I figure I'm already screwed so why stop now...
Old 11-28-2005, 02:12 PM

I, for one, would like to thank you for braving your mono by coming to class today. If I get sick, it's all on you.

And I see absolutely no reason to stop doing what you do with your gf.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM

same thing sorta happened to me a few yrs ago. Though my lady friend was rather sick, I didn't show any symptoms. I just like to think that my immune system rocks.