Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Hand O\' the day: K7 flops trip kings.......and I donk him to death

Anyone have a better line than the Stop and Go here. The Villian seemed loose/passive (51/0/.52 over a small sample)

On the turn I felt like a 3 bet would either a)get a worse hand to fold or b)cost me two bets if he has me beat. Smart play or weak/tightilicious?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

A 3 bet here? He's capping me with a better king/made boat and maybe mucking if he has crap....

River: (7.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Ok, I've got the 2nd nuts....lets go to war.

Final Pot: 15.66 BB
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Hand O\' the day: K7 flops trip kings.......and I donk him to death

Looks like a good compromise to me. He is consistently raising you after each time you bet. Probably has a better king.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:45 AM

Hmmm... I like this hand. Glad you posted it. Its an interesting hand. Has got me thinking now. I have started typing two times prior to this message and have cleared everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is what I am thinking right now. Its not really answering what you are asking about the turn play but I wonder how this would of played out.

What if you 3-bet the flop. If he caps then you can be confident that you are up against a better K than yours. If he capped it then I would feel like you have to call. I see that the turn can bring 3 tens (he didn't raise preflop so I rule out TT) to tie him but you can also get 3 sevens to beat him. The pot odds are deffinately good enough to call to the turn to try to tie/beat him. Would anyone of done this on the flop? It was just something else I thought of.

We know how the turn and river came but how would you of played the turn if a 10 or 7 didn't come?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 AM

I might c/r the turn. Rest looks good.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:49 AM

If your stats are over enough of a sample size to be reliable, then UTG+1 doesn't have crap, unless he's decided all of a sudden to break out of his shell for the duration of a hand (which does happen, by the way).

What he does have is another question, and I think the other king is quite likely, with any of the potential available kickers. TT is possible too, as are pocket pairs, Tx, QJ, AJ, and so forth. I certainly wouldn't dismiss AA as a possibility, either, and I'd give (much) more weight to the made hands than the draws.

Anyway, your line seems reasonable to me. If he's playing any king (and it seems like there's a good chance he might be, with those numbers), and he's usually not getting aggressive without a very strong hand, then Kx is quite possible, which you may be ahead of on the turn but also could quite likely be drawing against (to a chop, mostly).

I wouldn't want to checkraise the turn, because he may have some familiarity with that play, and I don't want him getting scared if he just has QQ or T9o or something.

Then again, relentless stop-n-go's do begin to alarm people eventually, I've learned, and tonight the opponent of mine that I'm thinking of right now caught on by the turn (I was running hot, for a change, and he seemed scared of me or at least scared of my lucky streak), and he just called the turn with his TPTK and then I whiffed on a river checkraise.

So I don't claim to be an expert on how to maximize in these spots.

But, then again, it's not until the river that I'm that confident that you're ahead.

But the river action may be influencing me, and I do think that against a more aggressive player who also doesn't find a lot of folds you should 3-bet the turn.

Jeez. I hope all that was helpful, in some way. I think maybe I should just go to bed.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a better line than the Stop and Go here. The Villian seemed loose/passive (51/0/.52 over a small sample)

On the turn I felt like a 3 bet would either a)get a worse hand to fold or b)cost me two bets if he has me beat. Smart play or weak/tightilicious?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

A 3 bet here? He's capping me with a better king/made boat and maybe mucking if he has crap....

River: (7.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Ok, I've got the 2nd nuts....lets go to war.

Final Pot: 15.66 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line alot because checking the turn invites a check behind if he has QJ, once he pops it again you gotta believe you're behind... go nuts on the river!
Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Results:

A he flips over a terribly slowplayed AA. Again proving that slowplaying is for sillyheads.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Results:

I like your line. And the villain played very poorly. After you bet the turn, how could he think you had anything but a K?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:37 PM

I'd lead the river. You are more likely to get 3 bets in that way, most players will slowdown when checkraised. Otherwise I like it.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:19 PM

I basically never SNG, so I'd be really interested in hearing the merits of the turn versus check-raising or 3-betting the flop. What advantages does it afford us?