Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 AM

Default .01/.02 NL Hold Em on Stars

Ok, I've only been playing poker seriously for a month now and have won a few $5-.50 SnG and one $1-.20 5 table MTT. I played a fairly tight game most times mucking Ax unless in position.
My question. I went over to play some ring games and lost too quickly at $.05/.10 so I was playing $.01/.02. Do those people play any two cards they get???? It sure seems like it. I am having a hard time adjusting to the looseness.

Coming from the NL Tourneys to small ring was kind of a shell shock. I downloaded some of the Preflop charts I found on here and will go by those for awhile but can anyone recommend a good book for either limit or NL small stakes poker? Lee Jones?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: .01/.02 NL Hold Em on Stars

Get Ed Miller's Getting Started In Hold'em for the best true beginner's book. It's primarily a limit book, but there is no limit coverage as well.

Regards,

T
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do those people play any two cards they get????

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much yeah. Very loose action at those tables. If you learn how to play it though you can make alot of money. For every river they'll hit they'll loose a 1/2 dozen or more.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:07 PM

If you are specifically looking for strategy tips for the looseness of the microlimits, Small Stakes Hold 'em, also by Ed Miller, is a great resource.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:46 PM

use the GSIHE small stack strategy buying in for $1 at the $5 max 'stars tables. Treat it like a .05/.10 for raise values. Your blinds are basically free.

I'm an experienced limit player who is learning NL. I've had tremendous success playing like this.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:05 AM

It's not so important what book you read. I read Lee Jones too and it helped me enough. Just get the basics in your head, and understand why these basics apply.
Now start playing lots of hands, until you get the feel for the game.
Read the boards, reply to posts about specific hands...
If they don't call you an idiot you are probably doing alright.
If you are mathematically skilled I recommend Theory of Poker. But I'd wait until you have played like 50K hands, since it would probably confuse you now.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:01 AM

If you make the nuts on the river, go all-in, even if you have 5 dollars and the pot is .08 cents. This works often enough to be worth it.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM

You're right, it's not important what book you read... you could read Lee Jones like I did, try to beat the games and get incredibly frustrated following that advice. Then you could grind out 300k hands of limit poker, discovering that Ed Miller is the small-stakes poker genius for the 21st century about halfway through those hands after reading and applying SSHE. Then you could try his short stack theory while you work on the intricacies of NLHE from a medium or large stack.

Or you could just go buy GSIHE and skip all that other crap.

OP: Unless you're truly set on learning NLHE, limit is where most knowledgeable people recommend you start.... GSIHE and SSHE by Ed Miller, and it's not even close.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Unless you're truly set on learning NLHE, limit is where most knowledgeable people recommend you start....

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this statement and would be interested in seeing it substantiated. (Obviously I realize you can't do a census of all knowledgeable people in the poker universe, but I would expect there to be more than one or two references for this assertion if true.)
Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM

It's just my opinion and the advice I followed when I started seriously playing and studying. Opinions may have changed in the past two years.

I believe there is more money to be made at small NL games than limit. The GSIHE plan is foolproof, AFAICT. I don't see a way to gain a significant advantage over such a player. It's boring as hell though.