Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

View Poll Results: Should Party and skins allow data mining?
Yes 67 45.89%
No 79 54.11%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Re: How many people are \'certain\' about god?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anbody who is certain there is a God or who is certain there isn't a God, is simply, an idiot.

No way to know, one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not meant to be that kind of post - but since you started it, would you call someone who is certain that the Universe was not created by a one-eyed Unicorn an idiot? No way to know, one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this was directed at Dominic, but I agree with his statements, and my answer to you question is 'Yes, they are an idiot, if they truly say that they are certain and understand what that means.'
Old 10-09-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anbody who is certain there is a God or who is certain there isn't a God, is simply, an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not meant to be that kind of post - but since you started it, would you call someone who is certain that the Universe was not created by a one-eyed Unicorn an idiot? No way to know, one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice I didn't say, "Anyone who is certain about ANYTHING is an idiot." Although, I would be skeptical of someone who is absolutely certain about more than a small number of things.

This conversation is about God...how one-eyed unicorns got into the equation,I don't know. But I look on with the same increduality at someone who believes in God as much as someone who believes in one-eyed unicorns.

Simply put, there is no proof for either...or proof that either do not exist...although I'd rather not get into trying to prove a negative. It's like trying to teach a pig to dance. It annoys the pig and you both look foolish in the attempt.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:16 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this was directed at Dominic, but I agree with his statements, and my answer to you question is 'Yes, they are an idiot, if they truly say that they are certain and understand what that means.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-09-2005, 06:50 AM

lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, being certain of something means you have no doubt - none what-so-ever. It does not mean that what you are certain about is indeed factual or even correct. It is just how you feel personally about something. It does not make you an idiot. That was the point of this post - how many people feel certain about this issue.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In that sense, I'm not absolutely certain about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT is for sure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, I totally agree. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 AM

I'm not certain one way or the other.

However, I am virtually 100% certain that none of the stories that humans have about their respective gods are based in reality. I'm convinced that they are all fabricated.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Not Sure?

I don't see how someone can say this.IMO] I mean i beleive its either you beleive or you don't.