Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over by the cops while walking at night

Sounds to me like you're saying that cops are cops are cops, dicks that is, and it doesn't matter where you are, cops are cops and dicks are dicks, and cops will be dicks and dicks will be cops. Sounds about right.

I got pulled over a few years ago. He said "you didn't signal at that last turn." He was full of something brown and stinky, I DID signal, he was just "fishing." He asked for our IDs, we obliged. He asked where we were going, "work" is all I said. He asked me to get out of the car. I obliged. He asked if I had drugs or guns etc. I said "no." He said "can I search your vehicle?" I said "you don't have probable cause to search my vehicle." He then replied in an angry tone "I didn't ask if I had probable cause, I asked if I could search your vehicle." I said "I just told you NO."

He was pissed. He went into his car and I could hear him calling for the dog to be brought over to check our car for drugs. He was even more pissed when they told him it would be an hour. So the dick gave up and let us go.

NEVER give cops more than the absolute minimum, and never voluntarily cooperate with them if they're fishing.

al
Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's "I obliged."
and you don't really describe M.O.s (main objective)

[/ QUOTE ]

Interested re: I obliged.

The M.O. I was referring to was 'modus operandi'.

You're definitely right that you can't oblige someone though (you can oblige or not, and someone else can oblige, but you can't oblige them).
Old 09-05-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like you're saying that cops are cops are cops, dicks that is

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so tempted to use Team America references here.

[ QUOTE ]
He asked for our IDs, we obliged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THERE'S a man who know how to use the word oblige!

[ QUOTE ]
He was pissed. He went into his car and I could hear him calling for the dog to be brought over to check our car for drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

At eurowid.org they talk about this a bit. The basically say that as long as a police officer doesn't have probable cause to do a search he can't do it, and that includes bringing out the dogs. Two ways to get around this (to avoid giving them probable cause while denying permission) is to say that you're tired and would like to go home, or saying that you are afraid of dogs.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I'd find you guilty of interfering with a police officer and put your pitiful butt to work at community service during 60% of every free minute you have for the next 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't interfere with him at all. I just didn't help him. I identified myself when asked, and told him where I lived.

[ QUOTE ]

You sound, to me, exactly like the guy who screams every time some pissant's "rights" are "violated,"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, put it this way. I'm not asking for the "right" to free ice cream or something. I'm basically asking to live without interference.

[ QUOTE ]

and yet you chose to abuse your own. Is it any wonder law enforcement people feel like nobody really gives a damn? You simply prove their point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 24 years old. Since age 18 I've been pulled over by the cops something like 15-20 times... It's only been thrice this summer but it seems like once a month in the summer and once per 2.5 months in the off-season in the past.

Out of these times, once was to help locate some kids that were running away from home: I obliged.

Another time, I was carrying half a bottle of zinfandel back from a party and I got a $120 fine, even though I wasn't drunk.

Every other time they've just wanted to know where I was going. On several occassions I've had them really grill me about it.

I hate it when they shine lights in my eyes, especially spotlights from cars. I can't really describe how angry it makes me or some of the things that it makes me consider. I'd certainly not choose to publish them here.

I was really happy to help out with the kids situation, but everything other than that has been halfway between bothersome and really f-king irritating, to downring invasive.

[ QUOTE ]

Since you like to walk around at 4 a.m., isn't it be nice to know there are police doing their duty at that time, not parked somewhere sleeping...?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a beautiful thing, man. And I do like it.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd have gone out of my way to make friends with these guys. Then, whenever they saw me, they'd probably wave and drive on by.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised how seldom this happens. Out of the 15-20 times: once. Did that make it all worthwhile? No.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd feel comfortable knowing they were "on the job" and available if I ever needed them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. I just don't want them to talk to me unless they have a damn good reason, and if I tell them that I'm only going to identify myself and that's it, I want them to be done with it: they know where to find me if they have evidence to arrest me, once I've identified myself.

--Dave.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like you're saying that cops are cops are cops, dicks that is, and it doesn't matter where you are, cops are cops and dicks are dicks, and cops will be dicks and dicks will be cops. Sounds about right.

I got pulled over a few years ago. He said "you didn't signal at that last turn." He was full of something brown and stinky, I DID signal, he was just "fishing." He asked for our IDs, we obliged. He asked where we were going, "work" is all I said. He asked me to get out of the car. I obliged. He asked if I had drugs or guns etc. I said "no." He said "can I search your vehicle?" I said "you don't have probable cause to search my vehicle." He then replied in an angry tone "I didn't ask if I had probable cause, I asked if I could search your vehicle." I said "I just told you NO."

He was pissed. He went into his car and I could hear him calling for the dog to be brought over to check our car for drugs. He was even more pissed when they told him it would be an hour. So the dick gave up and let us go.

NEVER give cops more than the absolute minimum, and never voluntarily cooperate with them if they're fishing.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Jayz lyric can always save the day:

The year is ninety-four, in my trunk is raw
In my rearview mirror is the motherfuckin law
Got two choices y'all, pull over the car or (hmm)
bounce on the Devil, put the pedal to the floor
And I ain't tryin to see no highway chase with Jake
Plus I got a few dollars, I can fight the case
So I, pull over to the side of the road
"Son do you know why I'm stoppin you for?"
Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hat's real low
Or do I look like a mindreader sir? I don't know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'?
"Well you was doin fifty-five in the fifty-four;
license and registration and step out of the car -
are you carryin a weapon on you? I know a lot of you are"
I ain't steppin out of [censored], all my papers legit
"Well do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack! You some type of
lawyer or somethin, somebody important or somethin?"
Child I ain't passed the bar, but I know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my [censored]
"Well we'll see how smart you are when the canine comes"
I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one - hit me!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That advice may or may not be helpful in a foreign country where the police may or may not have a right to beat your ass for little reason.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone hates cops until they need one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2005, 05:07 PM

In order to take actions to ensure his safety, such as ask to see someone's hands or pat them down, you need to have a reasonable suspicion that they are involved in criminal activity---specific and articulable facts. Walking on the street is certainly not enough, and even if there was a complaint, unless it was specific with a description, the alleged illegal activity being engaged in, and independantly corroborated by the police officer's observations, the officer would have no right to see his hands. of course, this applies in the United States, and not a foreign jurisdiction.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer, a prosecutor to be specific, and that is not even close to entrapment. at least under U.S. law, the cop can ask questions, but he didn't have to answer, and in fact, just asking him to show his hands was improper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether showing hands is improper or not, it is a reasonable request by the officer to ensure he was not in immediate danger. Show some empathy for a lone cop approaching 2 strangers in the middle of the nite for the sole reason of ensuring things are safe for the neighborhood.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:21 PM

I have a lot of respect for the difficulty of an officer's job, and I understand that they put their safety constantly at risk.
But they still need to obey the law, or else evidence ends up getting suppressed, etc.... The case as described by the poster isn't even a close one, the officer can ask to talk to the pedestrian, who can refuse, or not answer his questions, or not show him his hands. Of course, there might be more to the story, but I am just going on what was presented here.
Closed Thread