Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 09:43 AM

Default **Cross-Post From Computer Tech Help...**

Right, I have posted this on the "Computer Technical Help" forum but only had one reply....I have 2 issues....

1. Right, I'm not entirely sure of what to do....

I recently had my cousin build me a fairly high spec PC from scratch...
I got 2 19" dell lcds (which came with VGA cables)....As they were £200 each.....I got flamed for not getting 2001FP's...but thats irrelevant now....I've made my own bed it would seem..

My problem is that the slots on the graphics card are proving to be a hinderance....

It has a VGA slot & a DVI-V slot....see below pic....I have one screen in the vga slot but the DVI-V slot is proving to be less helpful...I purchased an adaptor to convert the VGA to DVI but it doesn't fit my graphics card.....The slot on the graphics card is a 24 pin slot (I can't find the site that compares the different slots)...but basically it appears that I can't get an adaptor that will convert VGA to DVI-D...

Another poster said that : [ QUOTE ]
It's those extra 4 pins the adapter connects your VGA lead to - if they're not present, the card doesn't have a VGA output. The adapter is just for physically mapping pins, it doesn't convert the digital output to analog. You need to get a digital input monitor, or an analog output video card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't the faintest idea what to do....Is it worth scapping this graphics card and getting a new one or will I have this problem all the time....? I have the 24 pin slot but need a 29 pin slot it would seem ....Is this thinking correct...?

2. Also, FWIW....I have connected my PC to my wireless broadband that runs around my house....However whenever, I swich my PC on - It knocks out the internet connection for the entire house.....I'm doing something wrong but cannot fathom it out.....Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may be able to do to solve these problems...?

Many Thanks.....
Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: **Cross-Post From Computer Tech Help...**

2. Someone else can probably explain more thoroughly, but the disconnects sound like a problem with Internet Connection Sharing.
If you have a computer running Windows acting as the broadband server, you're probably running Internet Connection Sharing on it. Both my WinXP and Win2K machines will randomly knock out the ICS on the server for no apparent reason, giving me a "ICS has been disconnected" message on the it.

If this is the set-up you have, it might be worth while checking along these lines for any further information you can find.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:04 AM

**BUMP**
Old 07-06-2005, 06:06 AM

looks like you need to have him return the video cards and get VGA ones. You won't notice a difference with a 19" screen.

Alternatively, you could return the monitors and get 2001fp's, but that would be much more costly.

edit to clarify: your video card only has one VGA and one DVI-V connection. The only way to connect a VGA monitor to a DVI output is to use an adapter like the one you have, but it must be connected to a DVI-I output, which your video card does not have. DVI-V is not the same as DVI-I.

bk
Old 07-06-2005, 06:25 AM

Would I be able to just get another video card and put that in as well..??? Or should I just upgrade completely...

Ie.....Have 2 video cards or one better one.....the only reason I say that is I won't be able to return the video card unless they accept that it can't be used for the purpose I bought it for....
Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 AM

Try a different adapter. My VGA/DVI adapters have both the slotted pin and the four little ones so they fit either kind of card.

Rob
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM

I went to PC world....but they only had the +4 extra pin adaptors...

I have searched the net for the adaptors but can't find them....

Do u have any liks to online sites that may do ??
Old 07-06-2005, 10:46 AM

I think your options are as follows:

1. Swap for a card with dual VGA (Matrox Millenium G450 Dual Head)

2. Swap for a card with both VGA and DVI-I ports

3. Get a second PCI graphics card with VGA

4. Swap one of your monitors for one with a digital (DVI) output

I'm pretty certain that just an adaptor wont do the trick. As a previous poster said, an adaptor wont be able to convert an analogue signal (that coming from your monitor), into a digital one (needed by the card).

The first option is probably the most straightforward.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 AM

Appreciated....I'll look into it...

If the 2001FPs didn't cost so much I'd palm of the 19"'s to someone else but £1000 for 2 screens is just too much IMO....and ebay has its pitfalls...