Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Raised PF, 2 pair, pair on board

Fairly soft table for Stars .25/.50. Unfortunately no read on the villain; he hadn't played many hands and he left after this one.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qc Qh (two pair, queens and sixes).
Hero has 9c Jc (two pair, jacks and nines).
Outcome: SB wins 11 BB. </font>

I'm posting results now because I can't discuss the hand without making it obvious how it played out.

Really, I wasn't thinking here at all, and just kept happily betting away thinking I had a strong two pair, and it didn't cross my mind that the sixes on the board was really bad for me until the showdown. I'm behind AA-JJ from the start and 2 pair doesn't improve me; the K on the river puts me behind AK and KQ as well.

I don't really know what range I should be putting on a typical bad micro limit player on when he raises in the SB. Personally I keep my raises there to about what I'd raise in early position since I have nearly zero fold equity preflop and I'm OOP the rest of the hand. Others however might see it differently, and someone at ML might think "well it's cheaper here to raise..." and loosen up their requirements a bit. What do you usually put SB raises on?

So back to my original question, Was it a good idea to bet the river or even the turn here? I can't help but think that I was being both stupid and wrong on this hand as opposed to just stupid.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Raised PF, 2 pair, pair on board

I play the flop and turn exactly the same, you have top pair, and then what basically amounts to a higher top pair.

With that king on the river, the number of hands we beat is very very slim, so I check behind.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Raised PF, 2 pair, pair on board

Just check the river dude - you know why.
The turn bet is fine. Getting C/R'd would suck but that's seldom going to happen at this limit on a paired board without trips. If you check the turn you have to call a river bet anyway, so might as well bet the turn to see if he'll incorrectly fold AK/AQ/KQ - if he doesn't that's cool too.

Whatever limit you're playing at - you should have an idea of what the typical range of PFR hands are from the blinds. I think there's people who disagree with me on this, but I strongly believe the average 2+2er has a much wider range than average micro-players in general - I usually would guess AA-JJ and AK for a typical bad nano-player.