Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Players caught colluding at Bay 101

I am playing $6/12 Hold em at Bay 101 on Friday. There is a player low on chips who is playing next to his friend that has just come down from the $20/40 game. Now the two friends are in the pot with one other player. The player low on chips has gone all in preflop. Flop comes K82 rainbow. The all in player's buddy now bets the flop, other player folds so now the two friends are all in heads up for the pot. The turns brings another blank and the river is an A.

Now the hand gets interesting. The all in player who is in the last position shows QQ. His buddy then says something like "you got me" and goes to muck the cards. Another player at the table not in on the hand asks to see the cards he is mucking. The player does not want his hand shown but the dealer has to show it if it was requested. So dealer now flips over AK!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Now what is to be done in this situation?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Players caught colluding at Bay 101

I wouldn't do anything.

First off, the bettor had a real hand. It's not like he was betting on nothing, trying to eliminate the competition.

The short-stacked guy got it all in BTF. How much could there be in the main pot? $18? $36? A trivial amount to a $20-40 player. He didn't sit in this game to bust his buddy (I know THAT sentence will take a lot of heat, but let's get real for a moment--we're talking about pennies here). He saw a chance to let his broke buddy have some crumbs, that's all.

I wouldn't give this hand a second thought.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:56 AM

The guy was forced to show his hand? No one called any bets anywhere in that hand post-flop, much less on the river.

Anyway, I don't see the problem. Buddy #2 bet the flop with AK, not exactly unheard of, and tried to muck on the river so his friend could scoop a couple of bucks. No big deal.

SpaceAce
Old 12-18-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy was forced to show his hand? No one called any bets anywhere in that hand post-flop, much less on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that one player is all-in creates the "called last action". A check is an action also. Hence the right for others to ask to see the folded hand. No comment on the ethical part of it. That is the only part of this thread I am referring to.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:55 AM

THE AMOUNT OF MONEY DOESN'T MATTER. AND I'M OF A DIFF MIND THEN EVY ELSE.. I SAY GET UP AND LEAVE THE TABLE, IT;S NOT RIGHT. YOU PLAY TO WIN AND HE HAD THE NUTS!! I WOULDN'T WANT TO SIT THERE AND PLAY WITH THESE PEOPLE, THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:02 PM

old news...maybe he misread his hand. lol

no harm no foul
Old 12-18-2004, 04:02 PM

my guess he was staking, or the allin guy was just playing his money. so he gave him a pot. stupid to do it that way why not just win the pot and throw some money over to the guy. just creates heat that way. but who said all players are smart. thats why we make money at this game.
if you are playing in cardrooms this stuff goes on all the time. not ideal for poker but the real world. overall it keeps more moneyin the cardroom. which i guess helps those trying to get it that can capitalize on whats going on around them in the game. rather than just looking at and playing their two cards.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:25 AM

His buddy then says something like "you got me" and goes to muck the cards.

His buddy actually said something like "I have you beat" before mucking, which I think is why the other person wanted to see the cards.

I was sitting at that table when that happened last night. I was in the seat directly to the right of the dealer. Thought it was interesting, but I didn't think it was a big deal. I think it's more friends not wanting to take each other's cash or someone staking the other, than anything else.

If they were colluding, they would want to sit across from each other so they could trap people between their raises. Think about it, AK has nothing to gain by mucking the winning hand when colluding.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:33 AM

By the way, did you manage to get to 8/16 later on? That game was awesome, 5-6 to the flop every hand.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it, AK has nothing to gain by mucking the winning hand when colluding.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. if they were colluding, he'd open up his AK and take the pot so it wouldn't look like they're colluding.